OSX & Speech.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Windowlicker, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

I was just playing around with the Speech and had a thought:

why isn't there a voice "HAL"? Because we have this great ad (hal9000) where hal is speaking to "Dave". Why don't we have that voice!!? Also, how difficult would it be for a 3rd party developer to program his/her own voices for the service.

Although this wouldn't probably be too useful, it would be fun as hell!

2. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

I agree.

Most people are fascinated by the way my computer talks to me...I don't have speech on all of the time but it's fun for once in awhile. Have you had much success with Speakable Items? I often get either the wrong thing or nothing at all.

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

the more you use it, the better it gets. i dunno - it's funny. i can talk to my emac, in a casual voice (just talking really, not talking *too* the emac), and I'm at almost 100% accuracy. My wife, on the other hand, can't get it to do anything other than tell her the time :)

just play with it, keep using it. it does get used to it (for a full explination, go to www.macdevcenter.com - they had a nice writeup on the speach capabilities of panther), and it's really usefull everyday. it's also great for showing off your mac :)

i for one love the address book feature, where I can say "chat with ___", and it'll start up iChat and open an IM window with that person. or if you say phone for ___, it pops the phone number up there on the screen. It's a heck of a lot more fun though, to make up a name, and put thier phone in as something witty... then when you ask for the phone of whoever, displayed across your screen is that comment.

i've also found the best way to learn is to have the 'show me what to say' window open. flipping through there will give you a list of everything you can command the computer to do.

last comment: turn on all of the options :) being able to control the front window is priceless. saying to safari - file menu, print, save as pdf, save - in front of a windows person is priceless :)

4. Windowlicker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

oh yes indeed! i went home yesterday and plugged a microphone on my computer and started playing around. this was very nice since i hadn't actually used this feature at all — I had just had the comp. speak a text and such. when asking my computer to tell me a joke, it did! that was amazing!

well, I got both my sister and gf amazed already ;)) ...too bad my computer crashed after about 30min of playing around.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

My dog hates me. This is supposed to be quiet time, and now I'm talking to the computer.

/keeps saying my name to see my phone number.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I turned it on last week after the 'Tell me a joke' came up in the Easter Egg thread - my friends who have been round so far have been fascinated by it - and it's amazing how smart it is in terms of pronunciation - we set it to reading football (US-style) game reports and it was hysterical - getting excited in the wrong places!

It is a pity that it doesn't have a UK voice to pronounce things UK style - and I have found occasions where if it doesn't understand me, I have to put on a very fake and very bad US accent to get somewhere with it. Switch to iToons rather than my usual iTyoons

The phone number is trick is brilliant! In general, I'm finding it so useful that I've just left it on now - although not with continuous listening.

7. Windowlicker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

muahaa! think of your lovely computer yelling WANKER at you --with kockney accent-- every time you make a mistake! ;D would get irritating in the long run, but think of enabling it on your friends computer..

this isn't exactly what i'm looking for, but look at this episode.. it has a good "wanker" innit:

Bob's Week In France pt5