OSX talking in robot voice & box-highlighting. HEP ME PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wpc33, Jul 2, 2006.

1. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I step away from the computer and when I get back, things I curor over are highlighted in a black box and the Steven Hawking voice is reading everything aloud. Not to mention that the apple toolbar menu lists "restart", "shut down" and "logout..." twice each.
    I tried to get this to stop by pressing every F key possible, esc, tried force quitting stuff, restarted, logged out, switched users(the guest account does not have this), I tried Pathfinder, macjanitor, Nothing will stop this!
    PLEASE HELP ME

2. joechops macrumors newbie

Just hold the Apple key on your keyboard and press F5. That should turn it off.

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hi....

First off, have you accidentally enabled Speech when you didn't want to?
    Go to System Preferences (the icon in your dock that looks like an electric light switch from your house), look along the System row and identify the Speech icon (looks like a microphone). If you want everything off, clear all of the check boxes in the three tabs.

BTW, this applies to Panther 10.3.9; not sure if it all handles the same in Tiger.

Good luck - must be VERY annoying. :(

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Sounds kinda like you have something from the Universal Access pane in system preferences switched on.

5. wpc33 thread starter macrumors 6502

wpc33

I thought i was going to have to throw my computer through my window, with me attached! Thank you all!!

I must have accidentally pressed control-F5 as unlikely as that would be! How the hell? Thanks again for your help

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That was hillarious... :D

...for about 30 seconds, then it became some of the most annoying thing ever...

Now I know what I'll enable on the Mac of the next Mac owner that p***es me off... :D :D :D

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's great if you're blind, what it's there for. Not so great if you aren't. I've been playing with the speech feature, which is kinda it's opposite, and that's actually pretty good. I remember using it on OS 8, which wasn't as good.

Just don't turn your TV up too loud, or weird stuff will randomly start happening. :p