OSX Tiger on the Educational Discount??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ZenNerd, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ZenNerd macrumors member

I went to a local Apple store to get a copy of Tiger today and was told that I could only get the discount by ordering it online. My question is this is the copy I'd get that way going to be any different than a retail copy from a store? I'm just curious because I couldn't think of a good reason why they wouldn't just let you get it in the retail stores. If anyone can answer me it would be much appreciated thanks.

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It is at each stores discretion if they accept it or not, i had a pain once getting them to honor mine here. Ask for a manager and complain, youll get the discount.

Ed

3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

There is absolutely no difference. Just the price.

4. ZenNerd thread starter macrumors member

I don't really care about ordering it so much as I was just curious why and if what I'll get will be the same. I can live with delayed satisfaction since I just got an ipod this week.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, it the same. Apple.com even calls it the same part number. There is no "educational" note on the box, or software. Same box, lower price.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I got the edu box. Exactly the same. It's labelled RETAIL as well. I ordered on the phone with apple to make verification easier.

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

It's an accounting thing, they only sell the hardware and student discount at the retail stores. Selling software at the discount apparently makes the stores look less profitable, so they make you order online.