OSX vs Airport

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Drue, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Drue macrumors newbie

I have a PowerMac G4 MDD and I am having a bizarre problem with OSX vs Airport which I hope someone may be able to shed some light on.

We had to temporarily relocate due to Hurricane Katrina and our landlord has DSL which he offered us the use of. I can’t run an Ethernet cable to his router without drilling a hole in the wall but the router has wireless so I found an Airport Card. I plugged it in, changed the network preferences and it worked perfectly. Then I got curious as to whether or not it would work under OS9 (bad idea!). I rebooted in 9.2.2, turned on the Airport and it worked as well. The problem is that Airport will not work is OSX now. Booting in OSX, everything comes up, including the Airport but I can’t get onto the Internet. The signal strength meter in the menu bar shows full signal for about 10 seconds then goes to zero for three or four seconds. It seems like the Airport card keeps resetting itself. If I have Safari up and try to access a URL and the request and return transmission all take place in one of the 10 sec “on” periods, ten the page is diaplayed. If one of the “off” cycles intervenes, I get the “you are not connected error message.” It still works fine in OS9.

I tried turning off Airport in 9 and left the machine off for three days It still exhibits the same behavior. Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Does this sound like a problem in the Mac or maybe it is a router issue?

Thanks

Drue

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In OSX, look for a file named com.apple.aiport.preferences.plist and drag it to the Desktop. :)

3. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

i heard that macos9 and macosx on dual boot can screw up permissions did u try that?

4. Drue thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS!!!

I'll give it a try when I get home.

Drue

5. Drue thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it looks like I am still behind the 8 ball. I deleted com.apple.aiport.preferences.plist and the problem persisted. I repaired the permissions and deleted the file again, same result. Then I deleted the file, repaired permissions again and zapped the PRAM, same result. Finally I removed the Airport card, deleted, repaired and zapped again. When I out the card back in, the Airport will still not work with OSX but will with OS9. I think that it does not like me.

Watching the Airport window in OSX, it seems to connect then atttempts to get the status. The window reports "unable to get status" then the signal strength goes to zero and it starts over again. In OS 9, it conncts and tries to get the status then returns "status not available." but OS 9 seems to run OK without "status." I dunno.

Drue