Osx WITHOUT ilife uninstall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majorp, Dec 7, 2005.

1. majorp macrumors 6502

Hi, i recently bought a new mac mini. It's great!! Switched from windows. First thing i did was to see if i could reinstall osx WITHOUT ilife as i will never use anything from ilife and it was taking up valuable hard disk space. I was shocked also to find that mac doesn't have an uninstall feature! i know you can unistall the "dirty" way but....so anyway can you install osx without ilife from the dvd's provided with the mac mini?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You are too used to being on Windows. To uninstall an Application on a Mac drag it to the trash. For 99% of apps this will be a complete uninstall. You might also want to check /Library/Application Support/ and ~/Library/Application Support/ for any themes etc for iDVD.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Welcome. :)

You could choose to do a custom install but it's unnecessary. Dragging iLife apps to the trash is adequate. Maybe do a quick Spotlight search for parts of their names to make sure you get everything, in-particular some Garageband loops and iDVD themes. :)

Edit: beaten by the king himself.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, except for iTunes, you can select what you want to install (or not install) from the installation CD. At some point in the installation dialog it will allow for a custom install. I save 2GB of space by not including language localizations and most of the printer drivers.

You can at this time also deselect the MS OFfice Test Drive, iWork Demo (if you're not going to be using iWork), etc.

5. Bear macrumors G3

GarageBand also spreads itself around. Doing a custome install since the machine is new is a good idea to get the cleanest disk possible. Especiallyt if one deselects all the language localizations they won't be using.

6. majorp thread starter macrumors 6502

wow:eek:speedy forum. THANKS! I agree i am probably too used to windows. Thanks to everybody! Off to do a fresh "custom" install:)

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow! I've been promoted :D

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's this or do some real work!