osx work with os9 in a work environment?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by krossfyter, Mar 13, 2003.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

a certain company does all thier graphic and production work in os9. They just purchased a new mac which doesnt have the option to go straight into os9 (system disk). They do a lot of work in freehand 9, filemaker, photoshop etc. etc. Should I just have the new computer reinstalled with both os9 and osx instead of what it has now... so that it can go into os9 and work with everything else? Or is there a way for all this to work in classic on osx?

2. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i believe i have to switch this over to os9 to work.. but i just want to see if classic on osx will work with the rest of the os9 puters.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think the only time you really have to worry about apps not running in Classic is if they use specific hardware, as OS X kind of wedges itself in between Classic and the hardware, if the HW won't work with X, it won't work. Can be a problem for dongles and PCI cards. Other than that, it *should* work... then the only problem is training people to use X, which isn't always easy-- they probably can barely run 9.

pnw

4. AntoineG macrumors newbie

I upgraded 3 Power Mac to OS X in a DVD production studio and they can even run all their old softwares in Classic if they want (Photoshop, After Effect...). It was not a big deal to train those using the machine and they don't have any problem working in conjonction with the rest of the machines that are still in OS 9 because of the hardware...
    Also if you got a brand new Power Mac it may not be able to boot OS 9 at all.

Antoine

eMac 800
    G3 Beige 233

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks guys.

okay about the not being able to boot into os9 at all deal...

so these new powermacs cant take os9 at all? if take out 0sx then install os9 and then 0sx in top of that it wont work? i remember when i got jag for my powerbook and i wasnt able to hook up os9 directly ... so i had to reinstall 0s9 and then 0sx jag somehow.. but it works now.. i can switch into os9 and os9. so im thinking this is the same issue or is it entirelly different? to where the new macs arent allowed to take os9 anymore no matter what one does? if this is the case... how the hell am i going to get this new powermac to be able to be used by the company?

thanks for all the help.

6. AntoineG macrumors newbie

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

okay so i should find no issue using classic then.

well heres my dilema...

im trying to set up filemaker on the puter to work on the network there... but its not working.

also how do i hook up quark with distiller on classic?

there is more... but i will ask later.

thanks