OSX'ing windows programs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, Feb 15, 2004.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm using VB to do stuff for school. Can I make the UI look like OSX? like iTunes for Windows? And if so, how?

PS. dont whinge at me about VB and the merits of cocoa. I'm completely aware of all your "facts" that you may throw at me but I have to use VB so I am using VB.

PS2. If you don't know what VB is, it's Visual Basic. Don't now ask what it is.

NB. The PS's were made due to past experiences. If I appear rude, I apologies. Thanx in advance! :D

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sure, you could make a program look Appleish on Windows, but you're going to be using custom controls everywhere if you want to put it into the program. (Even under OS X, iTunes does a lot of that.)

Instead of putting the the customization into your programs, why not look into some of the overall Windows skinning options, and get the look for free by sticking with the standard Windows widgets? (It's a pet peeve of mine when an application doesn't let itself fit into its surroundings.)

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Okay, this is sick enough that I'll provide a pointer. Here you go.

4. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Wow. That's a bit *too* OSX'y :D. What I'm trying to do is an app in the iTunes for Windows style. That is, everything is laid out as if on windows, just with different buttons, background texture etc.

5. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Someone once said that the QuickTime API on Windows has a fairly large Carbon content to make the porting of QuickTime a lot easier.

I'm not sure if its true but its maybe something you could look at checking out. May involve working in C which makes this all void anyway ;)