OSXvnc Java Applet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fuddy Duddy, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Fuddy Duddy macrumors newbie

Hey ya'll

I've got an eMac 10.4.4 at home and I want to access this from a remote location on a PC. I've succeeded in doing this by using realvnc viewer on the pc and osxvnc server on my mac using ports 5900 and 5901.

How do I do this with a web-browser? Per the OSXvnc website, I downloaded a java viewer that supposedly is needed. But I'm still missing the boat somewhere and surely I'm not the only dingus that's wanted to do this! :)

My reason for using the browser is I may not always be able to download a vncviewer on the computer I'm trying to access my mac with.

Can anyone help or give me another way to use a webbrowser to access my remote mac? I've googled this 'till my little fingers are raw and mama's ready to divorce me due to paying her a lack of attention!

If I've left out any important details, just shoot me a note back and Ill try and fill in the blanks

Thanks a bunch

Fuddy

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

You can host the java viewer on a webserver and use that to access your mac. If you can link me to the java viewer that you prefer, I will host it for you for free if you like (assuming that you don't eat up my bandwidth ;) ).

Only problem with that is that none of the java viewers seem to work on my Mac. On Windows they seem to be fine.

Oh, also, Mac OS 10.4+ has a VNC server built in - just enable Apple Remote Desktop and set a VNC password in it's 'options' and you're good to go (display 0 / port 5900 of course). It works well, but it doesn't seem to support any type of compression. I use OSxVNC on a 10.3.9 iMac -- I'm not sure if it support compression or not (I use it over the LAN so I don't really need to mess with all that).