OT: How to manage a huge mailing list?

Discussion in 'Community' started by hkriffraff, Jan 21, 2005.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

I'm in charge of the members' database for a local alumni group with about 1000 contacts. Emailing announcements is a nightmare, because each time I have to split emails into various batches and lots of messages bounce due to invalid addresses, "mailbox full" or various other errors. Right now I'm just maintaining the database on Access on my PC, exporting email addresses to a .txt file and pasting them into Mail on my Mac. If an address is invalid, then I have to go back to Access and delete the entry.

Surely there must be some software or web services that automate all this and can keep track of bum addresses? Please someone point me in the right direction! (PC solutions also welcome).

2. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to add, this is an "opt out" type of group, since the contacts are supplied by the university. Thus, it's not possible to have a Yahoo! Groups type of setup where peopel choose to join :(

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Possible solution

Filemaker Pro and SMTP-It! from Comm-Unity Solutions, a few hours of programming, and it will send personalized, database generated emails, track the sendouts, allow for deletions (manually -- with a 1000 subscriber base its hardly worth setting up an automated response system).
    Comm-unity also have POP-it! which can download mail into Filemaker. Presuming you will have a unique mail address for this project, you could probably use POP-it to bring in emails and use Filemaker to search for rejects. Haven't tried this side of the equation.

www.filemaker.com
    http://www.cnsplug-ins.com/products.htm?product=SMTPit

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com