OTB 12" iBook Cheap -- Good Idea???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Val-kyrie, Jul 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

Feb 13, 2005
    I have an opportunity to buy a 12" iBook cheap tomorrow at an auction. It has the original box but I would have to buy a power adapter for it. It is an 800 MHz G4 with 32 MB VRAM Rad 9200, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, without Airport and BT. I really would prefer a MacBook but I want to wait for the Santa Rosa chipset and so I thought this might tide me over until then.

I know this might have MB problems--I need to check the Serial #--but I am curious what you think it might be worth. I was thinking about $50 to $100 max since it doesn't even power up without the power adapter and I have no idea if it will need a new battery. Also, does anyone know if Apple is still honoring the MB recall if this iBook fits into the serial numbers recalled?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

PS--the auction is at 9:30 AM on Sat., July 15, 2006, so there is no use posting after about 9:00 AM (EST) that day.
  2. macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    It's worth a good deal more than $50, even if it works. The screen alone is probably worth $75 at the LEAST. The HD another $25-30, keyboard $30, etc.

I would pay up to $225 for it personally at an auction without knowing anything about the condition.
  3. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN

Fixed that for ya.

Also, I concur about it being worth about $225 sight unseen. It could be more, but you would need to know more about it.
  4. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2006
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Yeah it would be worth far more then $100, I would pay 250 for it I guess.