Othello

Discussion in 'Games' started by joetronic, May 9, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

Recently I have become addicted to Othello. Does anyone know of a online game site I can play others online. Yahoo games doesn't seem to work even though I have updated my Java to the newest version when I updated to Tiger, and I try to stay away from Yahoo as much as possable. It is also called Reversy (sp?) at some places (ie; Windows.)

Also, if anyone is interested in paying a game or two at one of these sites just PM and we can set up a time.

Thanks
    Joe

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've never heard of a game called Othello.
    Shoot, when I saw this thread I thought you were talking about the Shakespear play. Or the Verdi opera...

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Othello is the original name for the physical board game, which used dual-sided chips (one side white, one side black). The Windows version of Othello is called Reversi.

Funny... even though I know all about Shakespeare's Othello, my first thought was of the board game.

4. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

they play is good too. Never heard the opera but will take a look (the wife is ahuge opera fan, she might know.)

If you like chess, or other games like it you would like this aswell. On a windows XP machine with games installed is called Reversi and takes you to MSN gamezone. I'm looking for something like that that will work under OSX. MSN games and Yahoo games does not work on my machines (all have Tiger)

Thanks Clay for the proper spelling of reversi, its been driving me nuts, and didnt have a Windows machine rear by to look.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What!!?? I thought this was going to be a funny love thread :mad:

;)

Do we need more?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

darn, i thought this was about Shakespeare too, or jealousy, or some crapy movie of Othello, but hey i guess i will look the game up and give it a try sometime, new addictions here i come!

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

8. Tideswimmer macrumors newbie

Another name for Othello

In Asia, the game is called Go. I don't play, but I found a few gaming sites by googling "play go online"

Good luck. :)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Go is a completely different game than Othello/Reversi.

10. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

This is neat, but I'm looking to play against a person, like yahoo games or MSN gamezone.

Good site for practice though.

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Hmm, sounds like fun. I'll have to to check it out.
    Joetronic, definitely check out the opera. It is one of Verdi's finest, IMO...

12. Chubypig macrumors 6502

When I saw this thread I thought of the book. We just finished it in class, and now I have to start memorizing a small section. "Even now, now, very now, an old black ram is tupping your white ewe." He he great line. Oh that Iago, what kidder.

13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Go is a lot more difficult and territorial.
    There is a Mac OS X version of Go that is Free, and amazingly tough!
    Wish i could remember what it's called, but it's on the apple downloads somewhere!