Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzy Orange

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2006
When I plug my iPhone into my Mac and iTunes pops up, the little bar on the bottom that shows your available space has an orange section labeled "Other". And unfortunately, it is taking up a bunch of space (at least 300 MB). Can someone help me get rid of this "Other" category that is taking up my memory? Thanks!

maxxscholten

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
I think "other" is designated for things like album art and lyrics, and probably some cache information. I'm not sure if you can get rid of it.

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
A full restore may reduce it a bit, but 200-300 seems fairly typical

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Some things that fall under "Other":

- SMS conversations
- Calendar DB
- Widget preferences etc.
- Notes
- Settings
- Contacts
- Bookmarks

A lot of this info is small, but it adds up.

chamberlain93

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
i have the same problem only i have 8.8gb of other on my ipod 5th gen and I have no way of knowing what it is :S

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
I also think it is for other applications .. you save a game, notes, pictures, etc. on 'other' category.

tnam7

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
if you navigate to your itunes folder you will see a itunes/itunes_media folder which categorizes all your books/mobile apps/music/podcasts/etc. Under the parent folder of itunes you may have another folder called Mobile Applications or a duplicate folder of one of the folders under the itunes media, in that dup folder you should find the items that are categorized as "other". Just move or delete these items as needed.

Hope that helps.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i have a similar question: any idea on why, when i have removed all music from my iPhone, i still have a blue (audio) bar showing 1.5 GB taken up?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Are you jailbroken? There is one jailbroken program I can think of that can keep a significant amount of "Other" space.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
i have this page in my bookmarks and always work for me, you can use diskaid,iphone explorer, wincsp, cyberduck etc...http://www.ipodrepublic.com/iphone/fixing-issue-other-files-iphone-memory/2010/03/31/
remember that 1gb or less is NORMAL for other.
this are the instructions (simple)
Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I've got about 800mb of "Other" even though I just restored my iPhone yesterday. I do have a lot of SMSs, contacts, calendar stuff, etc though...

I am jailbroken, but the exact same amount of space appeared in "Other" after I restored but before I JB'd again.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
I've got about 800mb of "Other" even though I just restored my iPhone yesterday. I do have a lot of SMSs, contacts, calendar stuff, etc though...

I am jailbroken, but the exact same amount of space appeared in "Other" after I restored but before I JB'd again.
800mb is very normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.