Other News... is being abused.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I've noticed lately that people are taking liberties with the Current Events and Other News... section of the forums.

Rather than posting news, there has been editorializing, changes to the original intent of the story, and plain old wrong information being circulated. To me, this is against the purpose of this section: to post legitamate news items for discussion on the forums.

The most aggregious example can be found here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=282807#post282807

So, if I may be so bold, I'd like to propose a set of rules to follow in posting in this section. Tell me what you guys think about these, or make additions.

1. You must provide a legitimate news story (not something you make up) along with a link to the story.

2. You must read the content of the story in its entirety before posting.

3. Quotes and summaries are allowed in the initial post. Provided that...

4. There will be no editorializing in the primary post. And...

5. Any summary in the initial post must remain true to the content of the original story.

6. Any editorializing or personal comments must come in a post seperate from the initial post.

So, what do you think? I think this might help keep the quality of this section a little higher.

Taft

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Over the past couple weeks I've had to move several threads out of the Current Events forum because they weren't current events. If you find something in there that doesn't belong, report it and someone will take care of it.

And I totally agree that if you post an article, you should be responsible enough to have read the whole thing and know what its about, especially if you quote it for referencing/backing up an idea or belief.

D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Other News... is being abused.

When users in the past have been bothered by other's actions in the past, it's come down to either reporting posts that are out of line or just plain ignoring them. If it seems to be something completely ridiculous, ignore it. If it's something against the rules, report it to a moderator. Bottom line, if it's real "news", then it shouldn't be fabricated...and that's something everyone should honor.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Go Get Em Taft! ( yes i agree( how about that!)

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Taft

Damn straight.

So much inflammatory drivel could be avoided.

6. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

You know, I never think about reporting posts. It just never crosses my mind.

I guess I should probably just do that.

Taft

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

it's a good thought to keep in your head...

arn's made it a point to tell everyone...do not expect any action to be taken unless u bring it to our attention... ;)