Other places for macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jer446, Jan 3, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I am looking at buying a powerbook after mwsf. I can get the educational discount, but i was wondering if there were any other authorized dealers that would honor the educational discount?

2. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

As I already posted in another edu related thread you should look into buying from a dealer that doesn't charge you sales tax .. the savings from those are bigger then the edu discounts on mid and high end machines ..

A friend of mine got an edu discount at a 3rd party vendor .. but this was in Europe so i don't know how the situation is here ..

3. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well the edu discount on the powerbook is 200 dollars, so tax is only 89 dollars.. if a company that would redeem the edu discount AND didnt charge tax.. id be savin a bundle. pb is 1399 so tax is 84

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a

You won't be able to get the edu discount from them, but I suggest Amazon for your PB. Unless you happen to live in like the 3 states where they actually tax, your purchase is tax free, thus you save something like $100-$200 depending on what PB you buy. What’s more, the high-end 15" PB has a $150 rebate right now, and there’s free two-day shipping. I'm sure there are other PBs with a rebate too, I dunno, go have a look. :p Not a bad deal, I’d say.

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Never did understand your math Mertzen.

The average .edu discount on powerbooks is 10-14%, not sure of many states that charge that much in sales tax to make up for the discount. Where I live its a cool 5.25%. Even after sales tax the .edu discount is better. For example with .edu + tax on a 15 pb w/combo, it would cost me (my wife - actually) about $1893. Without sales tax on a full price its $1999.

As for the original poster, I was able to negotiate with a CDW to match the Apple .edu price. YMMV, but its worth a shot.

6. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I bought from a retail store, so yes tax was applied. If you don't have one in the area, you could always call and ask.