Other Points of Interest: iPod Hi-Fi, Universal Dock, iPod Component Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

With help from various readers, we've pulled out some other points of interest that were buried in today's announcements.

Demise of iPod Hi-Fi?
    While Apple still has a product page for its high-end iPod Hi-Fi accessory, readers have noted that the product has been removed from Apple's online store. Think Secret had previously predicted the Hi-Fi's demise, apparently due to lackluster sales.

New Universal Dock, Component Video
    Apple has quietly unveiled a new Universal Dock. It appears to be largely similar to the universal dock it replaces, and it supports all iPods released today as well as the 5G iPod (5G iPod "classic") and iPhone.

Apple has also added component video output to the iPods announced today via a component video cable. Apple states that component video output is currently supported with the iPod Nano (3G) and iPod classic (6G) at 480p or 576p, and the iPod Touch at 480i or 576i resolution.

Stay tuned for an analysis of today's announcements and how the rumor community did with its predictions.

Article Link
  2. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2007
    The Nation's Fartland
  3. macrumors regular

Aug 26, 2007
    Can anyone think of why the ipod touch would have a lower video-output resolution (interlaced rather than progressive)? Flash memory should be faster to access, and unless the ipod touch interface takes up much of the processing power, it seems as though it should be at least as fast?

Glass screen? Should we hope that they stick with the iphone's screen (that's what I'd guess) or cheap it off?

When will downloadable video and podcasts come to the ipod touch and iphone?

Applications such as notepad or mail?

I guess there are many questions left to be answered. Hopefully Apple will address them in software updates, or others will if Apple drops the ball.

P.S. I was thinking of getting an Archos 605, but that product is pretty much obsolete after being released September 1st, unless, of course, you want video and a hard drive.
  4. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    been wondering that myself. I've got to believe that at this point, its a software based limitation. The iPhone was really buggy when it came out, and no doubt the same team was working like hell to not only patch it up but get the iPod Touch out in time for the holidays and this event.

I believe the hardware itself should support the resolution, so you may see a software update in the future.
  5. macrumors 65816

Jun 16, 2006
    Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
    Yeah, now this is the fun part-seeing people's reactions and thoughts about today's announcements.

Apple stock when down a bit after gaining some prior to the announcements (no doubt fed by rampant speculation).

I might buy the 160GB iPod---it would have been nice to have iPod Touch carry a hard drive instead of the flash memory.

Anyway, I'm kinda hyped with the storage capacity of the "regular" iPod.
  6. macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Apple's page says the component out supports the iPhone as well.

7. macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Why doesnt Apple take $200 off the Hi-Fi? Then it should sell better.

It is a great system anyways.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2004
    New York
    iPod Hi-Fi, R.I.P.

Can't think of a better looking iPod system for the money, I'll prolly try to grab a couple more of these b4 they are history. I hope it ain't so - I'd love Apple to continue in this direction.
  9. macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    A wireless version of the iPod hifi would make sense, with wifi streaming from Touch/iPhone to it
  10. macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Apr 1, 2005
    What About the Beatles?

I'm thinking it didn't happen, but I don't have iTunes on my work computer, and I haven't seen any direct mention of it here. Chances are, I'm overlooking it, but did the topic come up in today's event?
  11. macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Are any iPod hi-fi on clearance? I would like to get one as well.
  12. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If I can find a reasonably priced one, I might pick one up also....
  13. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2006
    I just don't see a reason for buying one of these when I can connect my ipod with a 20 dollar cable to pretty much any other stereo I want.
  14. macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2006
    The iPod HiFi looks nice but, in my opinion, sounds pretty rubbish. It makes sense to me that it is dropped. Steve Jobs raved about it when they launched it, saying he'd got rid of all his high-end expensive HiFi equipment and replaced it with the iPod HiFi. I hear that Mr Jobs is actually partially deaf.
  15. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2002
    Apple Component AV Cable supports iPhone too!

that's what it says on the store product page. Wonder if that's a software update? Will they add the same output for the previous iPod 5g via update?? or does it do that already??
  16. macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2006
    I guess the only explanation for the 480i is that the iPhone and Touch share the same components and there is a hardware limitation somewhere, maybe with the Samsung System on Chip processor. The Nano and Classic probably use the same components and may have been designed with TV output in mind, while it was just added to the iPhone and Touch as best it could so they weren't left behind.

And the 5G did output to TV before, but through the headphone connector. These new models all use the dock connector.
  17. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I think the iPod Hi-Fi sounded better than the comparable Bose system. I am glad I have this product.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2002
    I love the Hi-Fi! But I'm sure they have something better up their sleeve...
  19. Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm wondering the same thing.

My guess is yes to notepad (eventually), but I doubt Mail or Google Maps will ever be added to the iPod Touch.

I sure hope the iPod Touch is compatible with my "old" universal dock.
  20. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    While the iPhone is on the store product page, there is a special note on the product that made me think twice before saying that the cable really supports the iPhone:

21. macrumors 68000

Oct 30, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately, I think that is an "epic" mistake. If you read the iPhone specs it still says nothing about video output. Thus, this appears to be an error in the description on the Apple Store (you'd think that someone would actually review the specs before they place such information on the store).

As far as the difference in the video output on the iPod touch and the other new iPods it looks like both the iPod touch and the iPhone lack support for the higher bit rate h264 video formats (read the specs, Apple has documented this difference). Thus, the iPhone and its close cousin the iPod touch apparently don't have as good of video support as do the more traditional iPods. It's amazing that even the new iPod nano beats both the iPhone and iPod touch in video capability (outputs and support for higher bitrates).

My hope is that the iPhone will eventually get video output (through a software upgrade), but based upon the current specs that Apple has published it's nowhere to be found (on the iPhone).
  22. macrumors 6502

Jul 23, 2002
    2 different cables - be careful they look similar

Apple Component AV Cable Part Number: MB128LL/A $49
    (component (Y, Pb, and Pr) video and red/white analog audio ports)
    supports: iPod nano 3g, iPod classic, iPod touch, iPhone

Apple Composite AV Cable Part Number: MB129LL/A $49
    (composite video and red/white analog audio ports)
    supports: iPod with color display, iPod with video, iPod nano 3g, iPod classic, iPod touch, iPhone
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us
    I really like my iPod Hi-Fi, and think it sounds pretty damn good. Sad to see it go--but I'm more surprised that they never tried to improve it at all.
  24. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    Thanks, but I'm in the camp Apple listing the iPhone compatibility with the Component Cable is an error, though it may come in the future with a software update.
  25. macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2004
    Tiger Support Only

One thing to note, is that all the new ipod's only take 10.4.8 and above!!! No love for panther users and older OSX's. :(