Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Unfortunately, I think that is an "epic" mistake. If you read the iPhone specs it still says nothing about video output. Thus, this appears to be an error in the description on the Apple Store (you'd think that someone would actually review the specs before they place such information on the store).

As far as the difference in the video output on the iPod touch and the other new iPods it looks like both the iPod touch and the iPhone lack support for the higher bit rate h264 video formats (read the specs, Apple has documented this difference). Thus, the iPhone and its close cousin the iPod touch apparently don't have as good of video support as do the more traditional iPods. It's amazing that even the new iPod nano beats both the iPhone and iPod touch in video capability (outputs and support for higher bitrates).

My hope is that the iPhone will eventually get video output (through a software upgrade), but based upon the current specs that Apple has published it's nowhere to be found (on the iPhone).

It is listed in the iPhone's Accessories page. Yet another "epic" error?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It is listed in the iPhone's Accessories page. Yet another "epic" error?

The new Universal Dock clearly DOES work with iPhone--and gives it remote control functionality too. But the video-out feature may not be for iPhone. I'd like to have that answered with more certainty. Maybe the iPhone's own dock can't do video, but this one with the remote CAN do video even with an iPhone. That would be great!

My hope is that the iPhone will eventually get video output (through a software upgrade), but based upon the current specs that Apple has published it's nowhere to be found (on the iPhone).

Me too. One of the 101 uses I'd have for an iPhone is to take TV shows/movies to friends' houses and watch the on their TV--just like you might take a stack of DVDs. I'd also like to be able to give presentations, as I can from my old 3G iPod, on any old TV--just by saving the slides in my photo library.

(Composite-out is the lowest-common-denominator and most useful to me. The new dock seems to have both composite and component, giving up S-video. Works for me!)

The new Nano is a pretty cool way to show photos on a friend's TV--and it can fit a LOT of photos!

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
One thing to note, is that all the new ipod's only take 10.4.8 and above!!! No love for panther users and older OSX's. :(

You want support for older OSes? Switch to Microsoft! I am serious MS beats Apple anyway with upgrades.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Me too. One of the 101 uses I'd have for an iPhone is to take TV shows/movies to friends' houses and watch the on their TV--just like you might take a stack of DVDs. I'd also like to be able to give presentations, as I can from my old 3G iPod, on any old TV--just by saving the slides in my photo library.

(Composite-out is the lowest-common-denominator and most useful to me. The new dock seems to have both composite and component, giving up S-video. Works for me!)

The new Nano is a pretty cool way to show photos on a friend's TV--and it can fit a LOT of photos!

If you look at the video specs between all of the current iPod models that support video (iPod nano 3G, iPod classic 6G, iPod touch 1G) and the iPhone, the specs are EXACTLY the same.

I think its pretty clear that the hardware support is consistent. I really think that this functionality will be brought via software update.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
I have Hi-Fi and it is good, compact. Best speakers I ever had, also the most expensive.

I think they really should make a wifi Hi-Fi which has the abilities to control iTunes. That will sell better than this one. Didn't they say they distributed a whole bunch of iTunes? Then make Hi-Fi the iTunes accessory instead of iPod.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
9-5-07 12:11pm Pacific I said:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=MB128LL/A

Apple Component AV Cable

Easily connect your iPod to the component video inputs on a TV. The cable also features audio and USB connectors, and a USB Power Adapter is included in the box.
Price: $49.00

Connect an iPod to your television with the Apple Component AV Cable, gather up your friends, and watch videos or slideshows together on the big screen. You can also connect the Component AV Cable to your stereo or powered speakers for a room-filling audio experience.

The Component AV Cable connects to your iPod or Universal Dock via the 30-pin dock connector and to your TV, home theater receiver, or stereo receiver via the component (Y, Pb, and Pr) video and red/white analog audio ports. The cable also features a USB connector that you can plug into a power source, such as a computer or the included USB Power Adapter.

Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution.

Rocketman

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Thank goodness they discontinued the ipod Hifi. What an embarrassment for Apple's design team! It may sounds okay, but it's one of the ugliest Apple-designed thing ever. Bye bye - you won't be missed. :)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Why doesnt Apple take $200 off the Hi-Fi? Then it should sell better.

It is a great system anyways.

I agree it's too expensive, if it was cheaper people would buy it.

As for me I'm stuck whether or not to get a 160GB iPod Classic or 16GB iPod Touch... Decisions, decisions....

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
Thank goodness they discontinued the ipod Hifi. What an embarrassment for Apple's design team! It may sounds okay, but it's one of the ugliest Apple-designed thing ever. Bye bye - you won't be missed. :)

I think it's a good iPod accessory. Or was :p
I would like to see a version 2.0 of it...

barcodebawtv

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2006
I Love my Hi-Fi. My surround sound was giving me headaches with wires hanging all around my apartment. I knew that it wouldn't give the surround effect, but I also wanted it to be portable, The hi-fi pumps very clear and very loud sound. I love it.

dansgil

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So can we still use the headphone jack for video-out, or will we be forced to use the new dock connector video cables? I really don't want to have to spend extra money on a cable.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
iPhone and video out.

My guess is that the video out hardware has been in the iPhone all along, untapped because it uses different pinout than the older iPod Video. Note that the older Video and Color iPods are specifically excluded from the Component Display compatibility.

Both video cables list iPhone, the new Universal Dock lists "Display photos or video on a TV or other video device using a Component AV Cable or Composite AV Cable if you have an iPod that plays video." And Apple is quite markedly considering the iPhone to be an iPod (Current apple.com headline: "Meet the best iPods ever." with the iPhone included.) The iPhone's accessories listing shows the AV cables.

My guess is that someone accidentally left the iPhone off the 480p vs. 480i listing is all.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
If you look at the video specs between all of the current iPod models that support video (iPod nano 3G, iPod classic 6G, iPod touch 1G) and the iPhone, the specs are EXACTLY the same.

I think its pretty clear that the hardware support is consistent. I really think that this functionality will be brought via software update.

Apple has changed the specs that they had posted from earlier today. They altered (upgraded) the specs for the iPod touch but the iPhone is still listed as slightly less capable than that for the new iPods (go to the actual technical specifications for the iPhone: http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html ).

Specifically the iPhone says:
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

while the iPods say:
H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Note the difference in the second part of the spec, the H.264 Baseline Profile (not the beginning "Low-Complexity" section).

Whether this is just another mistake (as they made earlier today) or a true difference I can't say. Whether the next firmware upgrade for the iPhone will add video output I also can't say, but as of today (and as it was yesterday) the iPhone does not do video out.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002

I'd like to think so, but the vaguely conflicting wording gives me doubts about the iPhone having video-out. Which way was the error/omission made? Fingers crossed :)

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
I think the simple answer is that the iPod Touch is not out yet and when it is - it will support all those things. The iPhone is out now, but the software update required to bring it to the same specs as the iPod Touch is not out yet so they can't list those things.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
The iPhone had video out since day 1

No one remembers...

When Jobs was introducing the iPhone he was playing with it and you were able to watch what he was doing on real time on the big screen. Take a look at the keynote again. His iPhone has a wire underneath for video and the resolution was perfect by the way.

That was probably the best feature nobody noticed.

I was counting the days for them to release that function to the public.

Now, I do not know why is so much confusion, every video cable says with what is compatible, take a look at the apple web site.

Then, the ipod Hifi still on apple's site, I just did a Google search and is there, is not discontinued.

edgar_is_good

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Seattle, WA
Maybe just photos?

Thanks, but I'm in the camp Apple listing the iPhone compatibility with the Component Cable is an error, though it may come in the future with a software update.

Could be it supports the iPhone presently for photo output, but not video output? Just a thought...

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Maybe it does work with the iphone, but it just charges it and does audio out?

That would be entirely consistent with how the descriptions appear on the Apple Store. I think it's becoming clear that the iPhone won't have video out. That's disappointing because I had assumed for some time that it would only need a fireware/software upgrade but now I'm not so sure. Only time will tell (I guess).

In any case, that $149 iPod nano is looking like a nice alternative for video output and frankly I find the iPhone a little lacking as a true iPod (the recessed headphone jack that requires an adapter for just about every existing set of headphones, the lack of physical controls/buttons for playback control, the size, etc.). The touch screen is great for the phone and other tasks but it's not really as nice as having dedicated controls for the audio playback. However, the nano looks like a nice way to carry audio and video in your pocket and it's something you can take on trips and use to show photos and videos on a large screen TV. More storage would be nice (for the nano) but even 4GB will get me through several days of music and a few videos (or even one or two movies if needed).

The other thing that bugs me about the iPhone is that it has no alarm (bedtime) function. Certainly they've got to add this in a future firmware update, but even the nano has an alarm so why not the iPhone (yet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.