Other than a Ikea desk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Aug 28, 2005.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Okay, I was all set to get an Ikea desk top and some legs, just what I wanted and at the right price ($50 for it all). I called up Ikea to get an idea of what shipping should be and they told me it would be less than $30. So, I got on-line and placed the order. Two weeks later they called and told me shipping would be $90. Umm...so I canceled my order.

That long story basically leads me to this question. Does anyone know where I can get an Ikea type desk top for something less than $90 shipping. I just want a plain top in a light natural color. Any help would be great!

2. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Staples and Office Depot has some nice desks.

3. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Can you not drive to an Ikea? Sucks about the shipping man.

4. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Other Ideas

Whelp - I'm not sure what an Ikea-type desk top is (never been to an Ikea), but I thought I'd throw a couple of other suggestions out to you.

1. Go to Lowes, Mendards, or Home Depot and get a countertop. Place said countertop on top of two 2-drawer filing cabinets (or some bricks or anything else sturdy you have lying around. This makes a great desk.

2. Since my old countertop desk is currently in the kitchen serving as a countertop, I've gotten a Lifetime folding table (from Office Max). You can use its own built-in legs, or you can close it up, as I have, and lay it across the same two 2-drawer filing cabinets as used before. It makes a great desk, and if I ever need a folding table in a pinch, I have one. ;)

3. My ex used an old interior door. It's not as nice as the above, but it gets the job done.

Just some thoughts, depending on how in love you are with the Ikea desk.

5. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea they got some really nice lookin (cheap too) desks at staples/business depot

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

kinda off topic, but i need shelfs for school, something that foldable, i've been shopping around but haven't came accross the perfect thing yet...does ikea have something like this?

7. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish that I could drive to Ikea, but I believe the closest one is about 5 or 6 hours away so all that drive would kind of kill any shipping savings. Also, I'm just looking for a plain old desk top not the whole fancy desk thing...alas, I guess I'll just keep searching.