Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
in the long run, 25 bucks is not much especially considering the 100+ you spent on the airtunes thing itself. just think of it as 2 bucks a month for a year. :)

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I ended up buying it! :) but today I realized that there is a delay in the audio... (I played a DVD and the lips didn't sync with the sounds) does anyone know how I could get rid of this?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
the Western zoo said:
I ended up buying it! :) but today I realized that there is a delay in the audio... (I played a DVD and the lips didn't sync with the sounds) does anyone know how I could get rid of this?
There is an inherent delay in WiFi communications, so there is no way to get rid of it unless you intentionally delay the video on the screen by a few seconds (I've heard three seconds is a good number). However, I don't know which software would do that automatically. I could probably do it one by one through iMovie, but that sounds like too much work and would eat up too much HD space.

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
okay thanks a million! and theBB -> a 3 seconds delay is exactly what I have been experiencing! I'll give it a shot! :)

edit: now I got it up and running! it ended up being a 2,567 sec. delay... :) thanks once again for the advice!

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2009
you think they would fix the audio sync problem to talk to other programs, it is very annoying.
I would not buy it, I mean if I wanted it for dvds I wouldn have a dvd player on my tv. I wanted it for netflix, so I didn't have to buy the set top box, but it sync is so bad.
It even doesn't sync with quicktime player.

and how come for 100$ on my airtunes, I cant get the video imported into itunes to work with my standard airtunes speakers?

good grief.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002

If you play the video specifically through the "Airfoil Video Player" included with Airfoil, it compensates for the delay:

You can find Airfoil Video Player right in the source popup in Airfoil, or you can just drag a movie file right onto Airfoil and it will start Airfoil Video Player for you. AVP uses QuickTime and Perian to play all sorts of media files, and all with perfect synchronization between audio and video. AVP can’t play everything – it needs to control the files, so they need to be local, not web-based. Likewise, Apple’s FairPlay DRM prevents playback, which means AVP can’t play movies purchased from iTunes. But thanks to QuickTime and Perian, we support dozens of popular video formats. Now you can watch your favorite movie files through your nice stereo system without needing any wires from your computer. And although support is still preliminary, Airfoil Video Player can play DVDs, also perfectly synchronized.

If you pop open Activity Monitor, you might notice that Airfoil Video Player takes up a bit more RAM and CPU than your usual video player. You might also notice that when you press Play, the movie doesn’t actually start to move for about two seconds. Both of these are due to how Airfoil Video Player works inside.

The AirTunes 2 protocol has some delay built in to it, and when sending to remote speakers with Airfoil 3 the audio is delayed by two seconds. AVP has QuickTime play the movie as usual, but doesn’t display it to the screen. While the audio heads out to Airfoil and your remote speakers, the video gets buffered internally to AVP. Once two seconds’ worth of video has been buffered, AVP starts to draw them to the screen, resulting in perfect synchronization between video and audio output. This is a bit more resource intensive since AVP has to keep two seconds of video frames in memory at all times, but it turns out that on modern machines this doesn’t have much of an impact. Even playing back a smooth 1080p video trailer downloaded from Apple’s movie trailers uses under 200MB of RAM for the buffer, and other types of video generally use much less.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/01/10/

you think they would fix the audio sync problem to talk to other programs, it is very annoying.
I would not buy it, I mean if I wanted it for dvds I wouldn have a dvd player on my tv. I wanted it for netflix, so I didn't have to buy the set top box, but it sync is so bad.
It even doesn't sync with quicktime player.

and how come for 100$ on my airtunes, I cant get the video imported into itunes to work with my standard airtunes speakers?

good grief.

good grief, you're replying to a 4 year old thread, and during that time, Rogue Amoeba has addressed the sync problem by incorporating their own Video Player -- see my post, just above.

epbicknell

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Just Bought Airfoil - and it's working great with my AppleTV

I found this thread whilst looking for a way to play Grooveshark (from Firefox) on the AppleTV. I bought Airfoil for $25 from Rogue Amoeba while listening to music from the MacPro on the big speakers in the other room, before the 10-minute noise introduction, entered the license key without missing a beat! The manual covered how to get my desktop speakers to play at the same time (not through the built-in speaker). Well done Rouge Amoeba!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.