"Other than iTunes"-audio through AirTunes??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by the Western zoo, May 31, 2006.

1. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

Hey...

Just wondering if anyone knows an easy way to play all sounds from your laptop on your stereo via AirTunes??
    Is it at all possible?

2. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

that's exactly what I'm looking for! all though $25 is a bit too expensive! is there no freeware that'll do the same or at least close to the same?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

4. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in the long run, 25 bucks is not much especially considering the 100+ you spent on the airtunes thing itself. just think of it as 2 bucks a month for a year. :)

6. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I ended up buying it! :) but today I realized that there is a delay in the audio... (I played a DVD and the lips didn't sync with the sounds) does anyone know how I could get rid of this?

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There is an inherent delay in WiFi communications, so there is no way to get rid of it unless you intentionally delay the video on the screen by a few seconds (I've heard three seconds is a good number). However, I don't know which software would do that automatically. I could probably do it one by one through iMovie, but that sounds like too much work and would eat up too much HD space.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can apparently with both VLC and MPlayer, the airfoil manual should give details on how to do it.

9. the Western zoo thread starter macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

okay thanks a million! and theBB -> a 3 seconds delay is exactly what I have been experiencing! I'll give it a shot! :)

edit: now I got it up and running! it ended up being a 2,567 sec. delay... :) thanks once again for the advice!

10. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

you think they would fix the audio sync problem to talk to other programs, it is very annoying.
    I would not buy it, I mean if I wanted it for dvds I wouldn have a dvd player on my tv. I wanted it for netflix, so I didn't have to buy the set top box, but it sync is so bad.
    It even doesn't sync with quicktime player.

and how come for 100$ on my airtunes, I cant get the video imported into itunes to work with my standard airtunes speakers?

good grief.

11. Fofer macrumors 6502a

If you play the video specifically through the "Airfoil Video Player" included with Airfoil, it compensates for the delay:

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/01/10/

good grief, you're replying to a 4 year old thread, and during that time, Rogue Amoeba has addressed the sync problem by incorporating their own Video Player -- see my post, just above.

12. epbicknell macrumors newbie

Just Bought Airfoil - and it's working great with my AppleTV

I found this thread whilst looking for a way to play Grooveshark (from Firefox) on the AppleTV. I bought Airfoil for $25 from Rogue Amoeba while listening to music from the MacPro on the big speakers in the other room, before the 10-minute noise introduction, entered the license key without missing a beat! The manual covered how to get my desktop speakers to play at the same time (not through the built-in speaker). Well done Rouge Amoeba!