Discussion in 'Community' started by reykjavik, Sep 4, 2004.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    I know this isn't mac related but I have no one else to ask: I was wondering if there was any way of using computer speakers (a 3 piece; 2 speakers and 1 subw.) as actual stereo speakers that I can hook up to my stero unit? I tried cutting one end of RCA's and inserting the copper wires into the receiver to use as speakers. Sound came through, but it was very low and when I turned it up my receiver turned off saying "overload". So whats the deal, is it doable???
  2. stillwater macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2004
    Rowley, MA
    Assuming that you are talking about computer speakers that are normally powered by the amp in the powered sub-woofer, you should be able to hook the left and right speaker leads directly to your receiver's speaker terminals, by-passing the amplifier in the sub-woofer. Then, if your receiver has a pre-amp out, you can connect your sub using a cable with rca plugs on both ends.

I hope this helps.
  3. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    In theory it should be possible. Unfortunately, I can't give you much advice cos when it comes to this stuff i'm very visual .ie i would need to see the stereo along with the speakers and a cross section of the wire.
  4. JRam macrumors member

Jun 25, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Out of curiosity why do you want to do this? Im mostly interested to see if you've found something that a stereo can do that the computer cant ;)

On a more helpful note: Do your speakers have an auxiliary input connection? Some have an extra input for just such an occasion. If they do you can probably work it just as a line in/line out thing. Although Im not 100% sure on the sound quality for it. I use that way for an external TV tuner box I have an the sound is good, although I do lose some volume when it is turned on.
  5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    no unless you use the headphone out
    the problem is most receivers are designed to push 6-8 ohm speakers, computer speakers are however usualy very low ohm
    say 1-2 ohm
    as you already figured out
    trying to get your reciver to push low ohm loads overloads the amp