Otterbox Alternatives for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JimAtLaw, May 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Since the Otterbox for iPad 2 has no prospective shipping date and I need something I can actually buy (nice videos don't help me much for a nonexistent product), is anyone aware of a similar or competitive product that is actually on the market?

Looking for something that will allow me to use the product mostly in bed or around the house, but with an active toddler who thinks whatever device daddy is holding is the only thing he must have. :)

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors regular

I believe on Otterbox's Facebook page one of their reps stated their defender case was going to come out this week.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 6502a

It was more of "question of the week", not released this week. It's more of the usual "any day now" response. The media reps on facebook/twitter don't know **** about the company they represent. They're usually not even connected to the company in any way; just an outside marketing firm talks out of their collective ass for them:

6. macrumors member

gumdrop drop series is another option, though it's release date continually gets later, as with the defender...

7. macrumors member

Yep it seems the iPad 3 will be released before the Gumdrop.

8. macrumors 6502a

People like the defender because it has a cover that snaps right on to protect the entire front so you can toss it into a bag or the car floor, etc. The cover on the defender for the ipad2 no longer covers the entire bezel - a complete failure of their defender line... but whatever. I've never seen such a crappy lineup of cases than with the ipad2.