Otterbox Announces Waterproof "Armor Series' iPhone Cases

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Aiming to compete with waterproof but usable iPhone cases like the Lifeproof, Otterbox has announced its Armor Series of cases. The case is designed to protect the phone from submersion for up to 30 minutes as well as 10 foot drops.
    The case will ship on February 22 for the iPhone 4/4S and "soon" for the iPhone 5. Otterbox is taking sign-ups for customers who wish to be notified when the case goes on sale.

Article Link: Otterbox Announces Waterproof "Armor Series' iPhone Cases

2. macrumors regular

Otterbox cases are pretty awesome. Looking forward to this one! :apple:

Though the LifeProof cases are " ...waterproof, dust-proof and shock-proof..". I wonder if Otterbox has these features too?

3. macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would rather support Lifeproof than Otterbox

4. macrumors newbie

This case is way too expensive, $99.00 for it,the Lifeproof is cheaper than that. I was hoping that they would have been at a cheaper price.

5. macrumors newbie

I haven't seen a definitive price posted for the Otterbox case.

6. macrumors newbie

It's on the email they sent earlier today

----------

It's on their website. $99.00

7. macrumors member

Great case for a child; but if you were to own this yourself, g'luck making a child

8. macrumors member

Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 6502

Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case. Only splash proof though. But it is the one I use when I go to the beach or travel.

10. macrumors demi-god

needfx

idiotproof?

11. macrumors 68000

TMar

Next time I take my phone out of my survivor I plan on seeing how water resistant it is. I would guess it could easily handle a few second of full submersion without/with little water penetration. I'll also see how much dust makes it's way in over the course of a couple of months. The only weak spot I see in it would be the seal on the front snap on cover.

12. macrumors 6502a

This is wrong info. According to Otterbox:

"We're proud to announce the Armor Series will be available for purchase on February 22 for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5. The Samsung Galaxy S3 availability will be announced in future email communication."

13. macrumors regular

Exotic-Car Man

That's "crush-proof"

14. macrumors newbie

but will it make my iPhone 5 "bend" proof? :D

15. macrumors 6502

I mainly use it at the beach because it does a good job at keeping sand out. Especially the camera. So I can just toss it into one of the pockets in my surf bag and not worry about it really. It can handle a little indirect moisture, never dared full immersion though. :) Never had any issue with sand getting in the front. I would imagine that is the weak link for water though.

I like the case a lot, it is bulky as hell, but it has saved me more than a few times on drops. $99 is a lot of dough for a case IMHO considering the cost of the phone if you bought on contract. I think the Griff is fairly priced.

16. macrumors 6502

So now you can make those phone calls underwater like you've always wanted.

17. macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Biggest reason I'd get this case is because it apparently snaps open REAL easy - which means for connecting it to 3rd party stuff is easier. And yet is waterproof. If I ever start working seriously for my friends hot tub business again, I'd definitely get it.

18. macrumors newbie

ALCRON

Drop-proof? What, does it have mass effect fields or something? :rolleyes:

19. macrumors regular

I just want a water proof case. I want it to be thin, I don't need it to withstand 2 tons of pressure. And decently priced.

20. macrumors newbie

Wow..$99.00! I was hoping this case was going to be more reasonable price...it would only make sense that this case doesn't cost over double that I paid for the actual phone. Monetarily it doesn't seen to be a good fit no matter how great. The defender at half price works very well. There is no holster either. We will be sticking with the defender unless the price reflecks better.

21. macrumors regular

I like iPhone but one of the most annoying aspects of its expensiveness is the eco-system that grows up around it that is also disproportionately expensive. $99 for a fitting piece of plastic and rubber - COME ON!

22. macrumors regular

no one says you have to buy it. If you don't want it, get something cheaper...:confused:

23. macrumors 68000

This water proof can stay at 6.6 ft for 30 minutes...wtf? THAT"S NOT WATER PROOF. There are other cases have water proof ability and can stay longer than that and deeper.

24. ATC
    macrumors 6502a

Remember the $99 is just the suggested retail price. The Otterbox Defender is listed at $60 but it sells for much less than that. Even up here in Canada, the land of overpriced everything, I got the Defender for my iPhone 5 for $24. And no, it's not a fake.

25. macrumors 6502a

What case would that be? Lifeproof has the same waterproof rating meaning 6.6 ft for 30 minutes. It's on their specifications page.