Otterbox case release date?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Donnia96, Nov 22, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Ok, so I am getting an iPod touch 5g for my birthday coming up soon and it was purchased from BestBuy without insurance (stupid decision, I know) and I wanted to get an Otterbox Defender Series case for it. I went onto the website and was super happy that they had the case but I didn't realize that it's availability was "coming soon" until I went to order it. I have been waiting and checking the website everyday and checking my e-mail for the notification regularly. I am sick of this waiting game and was wondering if anyone knows when they will be officially released? I have Googled this question which led me to this site. Aside from that you could also do me one better and possibly suggest a case equally as protective within the same price range :p

Thanks to all who answer in advance.

2. macrumors regular

You would be best to email Otterbox themselves to get an ETA on the release. Otherwise I don't think anyone yet offers anything similar.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I never thought about it. Thanks, I think I'm going to.

4. briguypenn, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

macrumors newbie

There is the griffin survivor case also. The two places I found them at at best buy and at walmart. Im pretty sure best buy sells them for $40 but walmart, at least the one by me, is selling them for $30. It comes with a belt clip also. Id check youtube to see if you like how the case looks. They changed the design up a bit and I dont know if im liking it. It is comparable to otterbox though.

5. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Otterbox taking preorders now

Will be shipped December 20, per an email received from Otterbox.

Ordered a defender case as a Christmas gift. Maybe it will get here in time, maybe it won't. Oh well, if it doesn't I can always wrap the order confirmation and stick it under the tree. :)

6. macrumors newbie

I just placed my pre-order as well and used the code, "tb1010y" which gave me free shipping at least. If you're spending over $50, then the code, "AM2012" is a better option, just a heads up.

They said to choose two-day shipping to ensure delivery by Christmas, but I opted for the free shipping via Fed-Ex SmartPost. They charged me $2.60 tax as well (Ohio).

I like how they seem to have incorporated their own lanyard attachment situation - it's hard to tell from the pictures. I have already destroyed the original "Loop" that came with mine, and I like the idea of attaching a non-Apple lanyard to the inner polycarbonate shell, instead of the pop-up disc.

I've been using an iBlason ArmorBox that I dislike for a few reasons. I hope the OtterBox lives up to its hype, since I paid full retail to be an early adopter. Whatever.

7. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The defender is a tough case and offers excellent protection. We have three of the cases for the Touch 4 for the kids in my family. About the only thing that hasn't happened is a Touch 4 being run over by a car. They all still work.

I should add that a TracFone used by one of the kids was run over by a car. Amazingly, it still works although the screen shattered and had to be taped. Crazy.

8. macrumors member

Got my defender today, looks and feels great! A little difficult to install, ok my wife had to do it! Adds some heft to the unit, with my big hands I almost dropped the touch several time. Also nice having a screen protector built in.

Mike

9. macrumors member

I returned the Defender, it was too hard to use the home button and the corners of the screen. I'm waiting for the 'Prefix'.

Mike