Otterbox Commuter vs Speck Candyshell

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by elaniemay, Oct 19, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Which would you prefer? I currently have the Speck Candyshell and my Otterbox Commuter that I ordered a couple of weeks ago, just shipped today.

2. macrumors 65816

Nhwhazup

Hands down vote for the Speck Candyshell.

3. macrumors 6502

i have both. the speck feels and looks a lot more sleek. i still switch em out from time to time.

4. macrumors regular

CandyShell .. that is my GO TO case. I always keep a "super" case (lifeproof / otterbox defender etc.) around for that time or two that you need it .. but day to day the CandyShell has been my favorite case since the iPhone 3

5. macrumors 68000

extraextra

I'm not a fan of Otterbox cases unless you throw your phone off a cliff or run them over on a daily basis. A far less bulky case can be protective enough for drops on concrete, etc.

I just received my Speck Candyshell, and so far I love it. It is not too bulky, looks great, and seems pretty protective for what it is.

6. macrumors member

The OP asked about the Otterbox Commuter, not their bigger bulky Defender case. The Commuter is the same bulkiness as the Candyshell.

I had the Candyshell on my 3GS, but went with a Commuter after feeling a friends. The Candyshell slides into my pocket a little easier, but I will not miss the slick/ smooth exterior. The rubber edges of the Commuter feel more secure in hand, which hopefully will contribute to less drops.

Below is the one I ordered for a white 4S. The Yellow parts are the softer rubber, while the Grey is a hard plastic layer over the rubber.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I do like my candyshell right now. I have the white iP4S and have the white speck candyshell with pink accents. I ordered the 4S commuter in hot pink with white silicone because I think it will look really nice with my white iP4S. I am not usually the kind of person to keep switching cases, so I am just trying to get some opinions on these two since I will soon have both in my possession. I do put it in my pocket quite frequently and I'm a slender female, so my pockets are pretty small, but I think (from what I hear) that both phones should work okay in my pockets. I am very careful with my phones, take excellent care of them, BUT I have three kids (ages 1, 4, and 6), two dogs (one is a puppy), and a 5 month old cat, so really I am the last one I'm worrying about when it comes to my phone getting damaged! It sounds like I should be happy with either case...maybe I'll keep both so I have a back-up, or if I want to "switch things up" at some point.