Otterbox Defender + extra screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by phil1031, Aug 15, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2010
    I ordered my iphone 4 yesterday and am going to get the otterbox defender case. I have seen that some people have an extra screen protector under the one that comes with the otterbox and I was wondering how necessary that is. Also, does the iphone 4 come with a sheet of plastic over the screen like the 2G model did? And if so can that be used as the extra screen protector?

2. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    The iP4 does come with one sheet of plastic over it, but it's ugly. TBH, you don't need anything else with an otterbox.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2007
    I'm one of the weirdoes who has a clear SGP Oleophobic under the OB screen.

The reason is simple. I alternate between the OB and an incase slider, and don't want to have to reinstall a new protector each time I use the incase.

I doubt the protective film that comes on the phone would work well in the longrun.

Also, seems like 2 protectors would offer a little extra protection anyway.
  4. macrumors member

Jul 10, 2009
    Yea the one that comes with the phone does not have a cutout for the home button or the speaker.
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2010
    Extra screen protector

The reason that people use an extra screen protector (matte/antiglare) with the otterbox defender is that adding antiglare protector underneath the default one eliminates the banding/watermaking effect. Without an extra screen protector, you'd see a watermarking/rainbow banding/oily effect while your phone was in the otterbox. You can also use baby powder to get rid of this effect, instead of using a screen protector.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2009
    #6 will really not need the one underneath the case. I was watching a video about the new iphone 4 otterbox and he talked alittle about having a shield on the phone already. He said it hindered the touch screen's performance by a bit, would have to push very hard on the screen to get his movements to register.

I say just use the otterbox shield and forget anything on the phone itself.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2010