Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, my friend dropped his iPhone4 today. Literally maybe 4 feet from the ground onto normal tile. (he tripped and it just landed flat). And the phone literally shattered. I thought the Otterbox was supposed to protect the phone from drops WAY crazier than that. The Otterbox was damaged too. I mean, if his phone wasn't in the case, MAYBE it would crack a bit from the fall. But I mean its SHATTERED.

Any comments? Ideas? This was just weird!

Here are pics of the device, if you want pics of the Otterbox I can get those too.

DSCN2524.jpg

DSCN2525.jpg

DSCN2526.jpg

The device even BENT a bit...

DSCN2528.jpg

DSCN2530.jpg

The back was fine...

DSCN2531.jpg

So, I'm assuming he can just go to Apple. Not sure how it works for him. I have insurance on my phone (Blackberry Bold 9930), and I just call insurance/Verizon and I get a new phone shipped immediately.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willyb26

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Oh my god, that's unbelievable. :( its actually bent! All from a 4 foot drop. Does it even still work (make calls, receive messages?)

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
You sure you didn't accidentally smash it with a sledgehammer?

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You sure you didn't accidentally smash it with a sledgehammer?

I saw my friend trip. Normal fall. I would have expected a few scratches if the device was caseless, but it was in an OTTERBOX DEFENDER, the whole nine yards. Legit, less than a four foot drop..

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
Not sure how Apple would handle that one. Aside from the frame being bent I don't see how it would be treated different than a normal broken screen. AppleCare+ would also help his situation.

Are there any providers that have actual insurance on the iPhone 4s? My naked phone has fallen several times and hasn't a scratch on it, but it would be nice to have the piece of mind. Accidents do happen and that's why we have car insurance and home owners/renters insurance and health insurance...

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
That really sucks!

Piggy backing on an earlier remark though, I don't know how so many people crack their screens either though. I have owned 3 versions of the iPhone for a total of 4 years and never had one scratch or chip. I have a lifeproof case on my 4s now but prior to this, I have never had a heavy-duty case.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Not sure how Apple would handle that one. Aside from the frame being bent I don't see how it would be treated different than a normal broken screen. AppleCare+ would also help his situation.

Are there any providers that have actual insurance on the iPhone 4s? My naked phone has fallen several times and hasn't a scratch on it, but it would be nice to have the piece of mind. Accidents do happen and that's why we have car insurance and home owners/renters insurance and health insurance...

I'll see what insurance he has on his device. I never buy a smartphone without some sort of insurance.

I'll probably drop by the apple store with him tomorrow and try to see what we can do. (I need a phone things for my 'new' iPad anyways haha)

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
I'm gonna guess apple treats it as normal glass break. 150+tax to replace.

----------

didn't otterbox used to replace iphone if they were broken while in one of their cases?

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm gonna guess apple treats it as normal glass break. 150+tax to replace.

----------

didn't otterbox used to replace iphone if they were broken while in one of their cases?

Thanks. I've never owned an iPhone or ever cracked any of my iPads or iPod touches, so I don't know their policy on fixing screens/insurance.

Not sure about Otterbox, I will check up on that one!

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That doesn't look like a 4 foot drop, I have literally driven over my iPhone 4 in a otterbox defender case and threw it about 30 feet in the air and there was not a single scratch/dent or crack on the device.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That doesn't look like a 4 foot drop, I have literally driven over my iPhone 4 in a otterbox defender case and threw it about 30 feet in the air and there was not a single scratch/dent or crack on the device.

I know, that is why I'm so confused. I was standing right there as he tripped and it fell. I heard the shatter noise and was like "oh the case must have snapped off or something" and he picked the device up and glass shards were literally falling off as he took it out of the case.... so crazy

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You said he tripped. Did he fall on it? Was it clipped to his belt?

No. He didn't fall. It slipped out of his hands as he stuttered. Just fell onto the floor. Maybe it his a 'sweet spot' or something with the case? I have no idea.

----------

No way a 4 foot fall alone would bend the case like that. Looks like he had it in his back pocket, it bent but did not shatter till a drop did the dirty work.

Maybe there was prior damage that wasn't seen before? Cause the device was fine before the drop. Completely normal. The case also cracked and broke. I don't have pics of that though

Tlvodra

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2012
I did the same thing...

I had an iPhone for over 2 years...not one scratch or crack. I bought an upgrade iPhone...the 4S...had it 1 month and dropped it from not even 4ft face down on a tile floor...shattered my screen. I cried. I didn't think it could happen either. It's a sickening feeling when it does.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
Holy God, that's horrible. I actually dropped mine from about the same height onto a tile floor tonight but got lucky--I had a knockoff Element Vapor case on it and there's a ding on one corner of the case but no phone damage. I was literally holding my breath when I bent down to pick it up to inspect it, though. Scary feeling.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yikes, I've dropped my iPhone in a commuter case higher then that and it's mint. That sucks.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah right.
And the phone bend like that with just a 4 food drop?:rolleyes:
Looks like a train hit it.

I know... Hey, not my phone, so I really don't know what damage it took before except for the fact that it was working perfectly before it fell tonight. Otterbox was totally intact, no scratches or cracks.
And again, maybe he just got unlucky. It's definitely plausible for something like that to happen if it just fell the wrong way...

Also... 'food' drop?

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
*Looks at pics*
*Looks back at iphone 4*
*holds it tight gets to store and buys the most strongest case*
And that summarizes the shock of seeing THAT damage.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Cmon OP. there is NO WAY that the phone fell 4 feet, landed flat, and the frame bent like that. Just NO WAY physically possible for that to happen the way u explained it even if the phone was naked. Throw an otterbox on it and the story is even more ridiculous. There is no "sweet spot" that would cause damage like that from the innocent 4' trip and drop scenario u explain. You can swear up and down that that's what happened, but I'm telling you either ur friend is lying to you, or ur not telling the whole story.

You took the time to show all the pics of the phone, but not one of the damaged case? That's weird. The case would have to look way worse then the phone, and the whole point of the story is that it was in an otterbox, but no pics of it?? C'mon. :rolleyes:

A genius is just going to laugh at u guys if u go in with that story. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but it didn't happen the way u explain it. No way, no how!!

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.