Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I would be willing believe OP's story if he actually provided photos of the Otterbox case. But he's refusing to. Methinks he's stretching the truth a little.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Give him a chance to post them... People don't log on EVERY day... Just saying!

He specifically stated...

SaMaster14 said:
Honestly, I'm not going to bother with pics of the case

In one of his many posts since opening the thread. Therefore I think there may be an element of stretching the truth here.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
That's just bad luck. My iPhone 4 fell out of my pocket when I was on my motorcycle doing 40 mph and other than being scratched and a couple of chips, is just fine.

P0stalTek

Suspended
Feb 25, 2011
I have dropped my ip4 in an Element case 4 or 5 times. I've dropped in an SGP case 2 or 3 times. All those were minor though and only cosmetically damaged the case.

When I first got it, I had a cheaply $2 case on it when it dropped 3 ft on to pavement. Scratched up Chinese bumper but no damage to the phone.

Sorry about your friends bad luck.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
I have a OB Defender on a Gen2 ip Touch (which is used at the gym everyday), had a Commuter on my BB Strom2 (the case was better than the phone at the end :( ), and have both the Defender and Commuter for my 4s (the Commuter for everyday use, and the Defender for fun outdoors events, like tailgating :D ).

I play rough with my toys and have dropped all of my them tons of times and never had any issues. Your buddy is either extremely unlucky or someone is telling stories. :rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Still no pictures people. Some thing is fishy here. Real fast to post pictures of the phone, but not the case. :confused: :mad: 4 foot fall ? Kind of doubt that excuse.

PS....Why didn't your friend post here instead of YOU ????

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Fishy or not, no way that phone was damaged as a result of a mere trip and a 4' drop. The cracking I'd get the bending is something else.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Do you seriously think you could lie to us about it being dropped 4ft and it looks like that? its had some sort of pressure on it to have caused that bend...

Its a pretty damn hard phone...theres videos of people on youtube driving over it flat and dropped it from roof height. That was not dropped 4ft and got bent as a result.

Just tried bending my iPhone in my hands... and the pressure used to do that would be much much harder than simply dropping it from 4ft... and the phone is not bending at all...

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
**** guys, chill out. I'm not lying about anything. My friend wants to keep the otterbox on so that the glass doesn't start falling out like it did when we took it out of the case.

I personally don't care what any of you think about my story, it's not like you guys are hurting my ego or self-esteem... if you want to believe me, believe me, if not, don't post ;)

The otterbox has cracks all over the frame and stuff, but the silicone is obviously fine.

Again, if you guys read, I'm assuming that there was damage before that he didn't know about (otterbox was on since day one, never taken off). That is probably how the frame bent.

The screen was PERFECT before the drop. The phone slipped out of his hands, face down (maybe a slight angle.. can't be perfect), and the screen just shattered. No cracks on the screen before the drop. How the hell can I deny that??? His phone was fine, he stuttered, phone dropped, screen shattered. That's all there is to it.. I can't explain it any other way.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Cmon OP. there is NO WAY that the phone fell 4 feet, landed flat, and the frame bent like that. Just NO WAY physically possible for that to happen the way u explained it even if the phone was naked.
I agree. My best guess is that it was already bent before the drop (perhaps in an earlier incident), and that thus the structure of the phone was already failing (perhaps, because of the bent, the screen was already under pressure).

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
I dropped my iPhone off my bed when I got out of bed one night by accident the phone landed face down onto a wooden floor and flew across the floor. I didn't even have a case on it.

Not even a scratch on it. I feel so lucky when I see things like this.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
**** guys, chill out. I'm not lying about anything. My friend wants to keep the otterbox on so that the glass doesn't start falling out like it did when we took it out of the case.

I personally don't care what any of you think about my story, it's not like you guys are hurting my ego or self-esteem... if you want to believe me, believe me, if not, don't post ;)

The otterbox has cracks all over the frame and stuff, but the silicone is obviously fine.

Again, if you guys read, I'm assuming that there was damage before that he didn't know about (otterbox was on since day one, never taken off). That is probably how the frame bent.

The screen was PERFECT before the drop. The phone slipped out of his hands, face down (maybe a slight angle.. can't be perfect), and the screen just shattered. No cracks on the screen before the drop. How the hell can I deny that??? His phone was fine, he stuttered, phone dropped, screen shattered. That's all there is to it.. I can't explain it any other way.

If you don't care why did you make a thread then ?

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself

You dropped it the wrong way.

knimetimmy

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Yeah no OP I've dropped mine from higher and no dammage occurred. No way in hell that was a four foot drop. just to bend that steel band like that you'd need A LOT of force.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I call this BS!

There is no way the phone was bent inside a Otterbox case from a 4 foot drop!:rolleyes:

Period.

Someone is a liar!:p

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Then why the heck would you title this thread "Otterbox fail" when you have to make assumptions like that?

A drop in a Defender isn't going to bend an iPhone's frame.

Stepping (or letting something heavy fall) on an iPhone in a Defender case could bend an iPhone's frame. I'm not sure if any case is designed to protect against that.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
OP I believe what you saw/ witnessed.....
However I believe you're simply not aware of the phone's full history.
Just looking at the pictures I can see that the phone was bent at some time while the case was off. I can see damage (see strike point directly under the minus button) Any protective case would have prevented this particular sharp striking point from 4ft.

My personal conclusion and even possibly that of a genius working behind the counter at an Apple store:
Chances are the glass was replaced once before (at the time of the frame damage). Because the frame wasn't corrected the strength of the phone was greatly compromised leading to a shattered phone even after a minor drop. Much like a car in an accident, if the frame is bent the whole car is compromised and basically rendered a death trap (its no longer safe), even if the rest of the car was repaired and air bags replaced.

The device even BENT a bit...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I recall seeing pictures of a phone with similar damage. I beleive it was on this site.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I don't think this is true. Here is my reason. My friend has an iPhone 4S with otterbox defender. He was on top of the ladder 6-8 feet high and he was on top of the ladder doing something and his iphone 4S fell and hit the bottom edge of the ladder and yet his phone survived with no damage at all. I don't understand why at 4 feet high, your friend phone breaks, vs a 6 - 8 feet high didn't?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think the OP should reevaluate the integrity of his friend. Or perhaps it was a practical joke played on him by that friend. Whatever happened to this iPhone prior almost certainly did not go unnoticed. My guess is the friend prefers the "OMG look what happened with only a 4 foot drop!" version of the story. The "well I'm surprised it worked as long as it did" version just didn't sound as nice.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.