Otterbox Ipad2 defender case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MotherFinMike, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MotherFinMike, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011

macrumors regular

2. macrumors 601

clyde2801

Still 'coming soon', not even an estimated ship date.

Had one for the ipad 1, great case if you're taking a pad into a rough environment and value maximum protection over increased size and weight. Nice stand on the case, too.

Think I'll pass this time around and look for something a bit less bulky and heavy. I travel with my ipad, but this is a bit of overkill. No magnetized instant on feature for this case as well. Think I'm going to go the back shell plus smart cover for the v2.

3. macrumors regular

Yeah same here. I was really a big fan of otterbox and i had one on my iphone and 1st gen ipad but i opted not to get one for my ipad 2.

looking at the pictures, i'm not a big fan of that exposed speaker grill. i know that it has to be exposed but they could've put covers on it like the ones they put on the 3GS' defender case speaker port.

4. macrumors 6502

marine0816

I'm disappointed in this. Their first iPad case covered the bezel. But this case is showing the bezel so I guess to attract the people with the white iPads.. And 90 bucks is way too much money... This is a failure, there will be a cheaper and better option.

5. macrumors 6502

Wow, it does make it look bulky. I think I am still going to get it.

6. macrumors member

7. thread starter macrumors regular

I remember getting my first defender case off amazon for like 50 for the defendernan 35 for the commuter

8. macrumors regular

The Defender is overkill for me, I e-mailed them about the Commuter today. That looks perfect.

--Sean

9. macrumors regular

i didn't even noticed that. you're right, they left most of the bezel open..

10. macrumors 601

clyde2801

The rough and/or paranoid will love this case; that's what it's meant for. Others may not want the bulk and weight that this case costs.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

I did that also they were very vague about it's release

12. macrumors 6502a

erayser

I ordered a leather case similar to the smartcover... but isn't shipped till the end of the month. I have a cheap case that someone gave me till it arrives. Now that I see this... I wish I waited. Oh well... I'll just wait till I see the commuters case. I need a case with a little more protections... because I allow my kids to play with my iPad 2.

13. macrumors member

This shall be mine! I'm not really feeling the open bezel thing though. You buy otter box to protect, not brag about the pretty useless white bezel. With this much open area I'm hoping it comes with something to seal up the front from dirt and water.

14. macrumors regular

mrbunglez

Shoot that's expensive :eek: but it is a really nice case I'll wait for amazon to sell it for 50 bucks.:D

15. macrumors 6502

marine0816

By that time the iPad 3 will be out...

16. macrumors 6502

marine0816

The open bezel and the price is making me mad. I wish there was an alternative. But I don't see no other tough cases with otterboxes reputation on the market.

17. macrumors regular

18. macrumors 6502a

All you guys are incorrect about it having an exposed bezel. If you read the color description, you'd see "black plastic lid, clear plastic base, black silicone"

The "exposed" bezel that you think you see is actually clear plastic. A few of the photos are photoshops so it's difficult to see this.

19. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I saw them using one of these in the field on the History channel. I think I might have to grab one. Nice pics!

20. macrumors regular

Funny I think this is a HUGE WIN ! Sure there's something gonna be cheaper... better? No way possible...

21. macrumors regular

mrbunglez

I pre ordered this case @ http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apl2-ipad2-20-e4otr.html and I just got an email saying it was shipped and that it'll be here on friday, how is that possible??
    The otter box website doesn't even have them to purchase.
    I hope they don't send me the 1st gen one or they'll be getting a call from me.
    Anyone order from this company before? If so do they sell genuine/ original stuff?

22. macrumors 6502a

Interesting. When did you order and when did the ship email come? Did the ship email contain tracking info?

I did some googling and they appear legit and have been around since 2000. I placed an order just now using TAKE5 coupon and got it for $55 shipped - much better than $90 from otterbox. Thanks - I hope!

23. macrumors 6502

marine0816

I also ordered using UPS for shipping. The TAKE5 coupon only works for regular mail. I hope this works out I'm very suspicious of low brand online resellers. I hope this experience is a good one.

24. macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just called the number posted on cellular accessories website. The guy I spoke with said they were told by otterbox that they would have it on hand and ready to ship by Friday, If otterbox does not drop the ball.
    I could not imagine this website having priority over larger vendors or even otterbox.com preorders but if so, it's a deal no one can beat. Let us know how it works out.

25. macrumors regular

I ordered as well, don't care when it ships - great deal