Ouch (Mirra)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demon Hunter, May 10, 2006.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I do some tech support work on the side, and today I've been working on this P.O.S. called Mirra. Surprisingly, it's owned by Seagate. In theory, it's not so bad. It allows mass file access from the internet.

Unfortunately, my dad's business was relying on one of these for critical files. Like, their most-important-client type of files.

I can only shake my head in pity. For years I've been telling them to get Macs, complete with Xserve. Instead, they use broken Compaq desktops, striped RAID (yes), and Mirra. Now remember, Mirra is designed for personal use, not 12 people.

My diagnosis for their only backup is: dying HDD, failure imminent. If you open the case, your warranty is void. Brilliant.

You would think that a virus outbreak would have caused a switch. Nope. I hope this does!

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Ouch.

My work has a Win 2003 Server running on a crap box on my desk, and we have two Dell Poweredge servers, and I think one other server in a beige case. I think the one server that hosts ATL Lab resources has a tape backup drive :-\

None of the servers are really are being used, the study that at least one of the servers was using to collect and host data for research clients around the world, the study ended. So, they're just sitting around.

Folding @ Work anyone? :-\