our car was stolen

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, May 25, 2005.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2003
    not sure
    i feel like a need a place to vent...

i had been using the car to go to work, but i was laid off about a month ago...I just started a new job on monday, but i have been taking the train into work because there's no place to park at this office. the last time we used it was sunday night, when i went to pick up my fiancé after she was finished running errands. I parked it in the same spot we always park it in... i've left it there for a few days before, nothings ever happened to it...

so- tonight the weather's particularly bad (it's been bad since sunday night), my fiancé needed a ride home from work, so i go out and the car wasn't there... i thought maybe we parked it somewhere else... but i checked all up and down our street and it was nowhere to be found...

called the police, called the insurance company, filed a claim and i guess we'll just hope they find it. they checked and said it wasn't towed, but i'll be thankful if it was...

i'm not too happy about this neighborhood... last year they arrested a couple of teenagers who were assaulting and robbing people a couple streets over (they came up from some place 10 miles away)... there's a lot of young families in the neighborhood, so stuff like this isn't taken lightly...

also- the car is a honda civic (not my choice, but it was given to us by family)... supposedly pretty easy to steal and very popular for parts... (checked some statistics for my city, and it's the third most popular stolen car behind the honda accord and the toyata camry...)

well... i just felt like telling someone... i don't feel like going to bed... i'm a bit too angry and scared and a little of everything right now...

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    That sucks, big time. Hopefully the police will find it, but Civics are oft stolen for parts for some moron's street-racer that they smashed into a pole. :( Hate to tell you that, but they are really commonly stolen.

But it's good that you have insurance, although a major hassle it is something you'll be able to get through.

Just wondering... Was the car was locked? Did it have one of those alarm system thingies on it?
  3. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2003
    not sure
    the car was locked, parked right out in front of our apartment. it must've been at night because the cops hang out at the diner at the corner most of the day. we don't have an alarm installed (it doesn't even have AC or a decent stereo system). my fiancé has left it unlocked before, though, but i was the last one to drive it... she's from the suburbs, so a lot of the stuff that comes second nature from growing up in the city she has to constantly be reminded (like locking the apartment even if you are just running to the corner store for some milk).

i'm thinking that *if* we get the car back (or when we get a new one), we'll get a "ravelco" installed. it's supposed to mess up your wiring when you don't put the special key in (they put it in dealer cars on auto lots). they'll break a window and mess up the steering column, but they can't start the car. I didn't want the civic in the first place because of the fact that it gets stolen, but it was given to us... i wanted a saab.

ugh... my fiancé didn't want to deal with it so she went to bed... she had been up since 4am for work... i was a little upset that she didn't seem to care... but i guess it's just a car... and we can get around without it.

oh well... i'm finally tired enough to go to bed. i hope they'll understand at my office tomorrow.

4. MacRy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2004
    Car thieves are absolute scum!! That's sucks big time dude, sorry to hear about that. I've never had a car stolen personally but I used to live next door to a car thief and he knew i'd remove his teeth if he or his friends touched mine.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sorry for the inconvenience...but at least you got insurance on it. i think ur fiance is handling it well-its not that she doesnt care she probably just realizes its just a possession (which has insurance) and glad that the both of you are fine and out of danger and its best to get on with your routine as best you can

good luck :)
  6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    The fun thing to do is to get ahold of a better car, make it look really appealing, maybe even leave the door open - and wait outside, hiding somewhere with a high caliber rifle...

Then, when the car theif comes by to 'check it out', you put two rounds into his non-vitals (if you're a good shot - if not, try for one shot, center mass). When he tries to get away, fire two more into him. Tell him that it's a message from Don Corleone - and if possible, throw a severed horse's head onto him (or if you're really good - the head of one of his family members).

Hopefully, it's the same guy. But if not - who's counting, right?

You could throw him off by firing two more into his lungs, head, gut or crotch (effectively dispatching him)...but it doesn't make the 'Don Corleone' line as much fun...

Well, fun time is over. Time to cover his corpse in concrete and dump it into a nearby lake. At this point, you're probably regretting not telling him that he'll '...be sleepin' with the fishes, see?'. Don't worry, you'll get it next time champ.

P.S. Remember to wear gloves and clothing that are too big for you. Burn them all at least five miles away from both the crime scene and the burial site.

Oh - and don't drive your own car to the body dump site...

...well that was fun...

Who wants waffles?
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well last night, 3 cars were broken into where I live (a Uni residence). I'm so glad that mine wasn't touched. Its funny though, because the thieves usually aim for older cars because their stereos are usually upgrades and not the ugly standard CD players from the manufacturer. Also, they're easier to break into, and a heck of a lot easier to steal.

In Australia, I believe every car built after a certain year in the 1990s required an immobiliser included with it. Well, my 2005 Hyundai has an immobiliser, so even if someone wanted to drive it without the key, I believe the engine cuts. :cool:

However, thieves can break in and steal stuff inside. Too bad there's nothing in there but my "Club" that I attach to the steering wheel. Its the best $60 I have ever spent.

Wollongong, Australia has most cars stolen per capita in the world, I've read somewhere. Guess where I live right now? :(
  8. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Sorry to hear your loss.

I am big into cars, and would hate to loose any of mine, even my base model Jetta 1990 Jetta coupe.

hope all is recovered if possible, and if not, I hope you can find a car that fits your lifestyle, and dosen't break the bank!

9. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    Been there.

they dont come back for a good while. its happened to my family 3 times already. well just broken into but, yeah it gets you ticked off BIG time :mad: . For some reason it always happens when my brother and I are gone on vacation. all the times from an underground gated parking garage WITH cameras. First time it was semiPROS, they took about 3000 dollars worth from our van, 2nd time was just a stereo from my car and the change and they left behind a screw driver they used. 3rd time was from the same van but all they took was change, IDIOTS, we have an amplifier on the floor and that was not taken. but you know when its Pros and when its just kids.
    The worst is that police dont do anything so you're almost just as good by not reporting it than reporting it.
  10. chibianh macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001
    Just recently, Someone I know had their Honda Civic stolen. However, the next day, the thieves were stupid enough to drive it during the day and was spotted by one of my friends. He followed them for a bit until the cops arrived and surrounded them. The thieves lookd like they were 14 year olds! Needless to say, we got the car back in one piece... which is very rare for a Civic.
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm very sorry to hear that your car was stolen, toaster_oven. Can't even imagine what it must be like. I hope that you are feeling better today. Don't know where you live, but an even better system is LoJack. My wife has had it on her last three cars. The police are able to turn on a chip in the car and track it, they hace a 97% recvoery rate.

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    It's terrible to hear your car was stolen and hopefully (I take it you didn't) have any other valuables inside it. However, I wouldn't say your fiancé doesn't care. Come on, that's taking it a little far. Deep down she most likely really cares and feels bad but just can't deal with the stress right now. I'm sure if you explain calmly what happened, this will all work out well. Just try to stay as calm as you can. That's my advice, though I don't know how it feels to have a car stolen ;) .
  13. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    Well at least you have a reason to get the Saab you want. The 9-3 Convertible looks yummy. :D
  14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    First read of that:
    "I'm very sorry to hear that your toaster oven was stolen."

Get the insurance, get the Saab, and get Lo-Jack. You will be very happy... and this is a great story for the grand-kids. ;)
  15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    When I had a Jaguar XJ6 a long time ago it was broken into 3 times in Boston.

My uncle had a BMW years ago and it never turned up.
  16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    im sorry to hear about the theft. hopefully things will work out in the end even though its a hassle now.

i had a '87 crown vic before that i had to replace the windshield on two times because people enjoyed breaking the windows at night, they also broke the drivers side windows once too and a passenger side.

not too happy with this neighborhood at times, but im glad i have a car port and no crown vic.
  17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Living in a small city, my family hasn't locked the front door in ages.
    We're fond of having Samoyeds around though. :)
  18. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2003
    not sure
    thanks everyone for you support... it's been really rough, but we are both doing ok. we haven't heard anything as of yet...

i realized the day after I wrote that that i was just venting (better to do it here than to her face. much cheaper than therapy, and suprisingly more useful)... my fiancé cares very much, and was pretty shaken by friday. we both have really busy schedules, and she was having a particularly intense week, so it was a couple days before it hit her. I chose to deal with it emotionally on Thursday... not really performing well at work, but by friday i was mostly back into it.

At work, everyone was telling me their personal stories of cars getting stolen (although a coworker's next door neighbor - a 97-year-old women - was murdered that same evening, so he wasn't exactly in a good state either). everyone was supportive and understanding... which is rare in an office environment.

anyway- i just have to keep reminding myself that it is just a car, and it isn't like either of us were hurt. I think both of us would have a harder time if someone broke into our apartment (but it is so messy, no one would find anything).

thanks again everyone...

19. sonyrules macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2001
    OMG, you got issues.. Funny, yeah, but still have issues...
  20. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I hope that the support has helped. It's always hard when it happen to you. You seem to have a good attitude.

When you mention the death of the 97 year old women that died on the 25th. That is quite a coincidence. Do you happen to live in jamaica Plain?
  21. toaster_oven thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2003
    not sure
    no-i don't live in JP... i know a lot of people who do, though... we thought about moving there a while back, but couldn't find a place in the exact area we wanted (near stoneybrook, i think)... I haven't heard more about what happened with the woman - that coworker had a deadline this week, so we haven't had time to chit-chat... what is scary is that JP is a great area, and very close-knit... it just goes to show something like that can happen anywhere.

well... they recovered the car. I just found out a couple hours ago...they found it not so far from where we live... good news i guess... they said the only damage was to the stearing column... but we'll go check it out tomorrow. probably was some local kids because they found it parked near the local mall (maybe it had been sitting there for a few days because street cleaning was today).

I'm pretty relieved, but also quite tired...

earlier this week my brother was telling me about the "trunk monkey." I gotta get me one of those: www.trunkmonkey.com

22. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    wow that sucks, i have a bad story too. When i was a senior in hs, i helped my mom out a lot with her class projects (shes a teacher). she started a recycling program for her kids, well she asked me to take the cans in for her for cash. i dont know exactly how it happened, but i crashed front end to front end with a 69 chevy nova, that nova is solid so it only suffered a ben grill and a busted radiator. but my moms 10 month old cavalier was totaled! whole frame was twisted, one tire shaved off the thread on the bolts holding it on and i got burned by the gases from the air bag. That was on Dec 11th, we had to fight with the insurance company because the cops didnt assign blame to anyone. Then..... on my birth day, Dec 28th, i walk ot the garage of our apartment and my busted old saturn isnt there. I had to go to acadec practice and its early so im thinking my mom took it, but nope. shes inside the house just waking up. my car was stolen ! on my birthday ! 2 weeks after i crash our only other car. the insurance company really hated that and gave us an even harder time! i ended up walking to practice cuz i didnt feel like being home to sulk. we had to use a geo metro for almost 6 weeks before we got a check for the car i crashed, and before they found my saturn in lil bits and pieces. so i had to walk to school at 5:30 every morning for acadec, and we only got 4th place. life really sucked for those 6 weeks.
  23. RalfyRojas macrumors newbie

May 5, 2005
    Oh my GOD!!!!!!!

Car's getting stolen... people getting assaulted and robbed????????!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: WHAT KIND OF WORL... uh, oh wait, don't you live in DETROIT? :rolleyes:
  24. RalfyRojas macrumors newbie

May 5, 2005

oh man, me and you would get along just fine, hehehe :D

To the original poster... dude I'm sorry about your car. I drive a '93 red civic and never even bothered to get a jack for it, and a few months ago It was stolen. Luckily it was recovered the same day, but I had to pay for repairs, tow truck, and tow yard fees to the tune of over $1,000 - that I didn't even have. The funny thing is... a couple weeks ago I go outside at around 12am to drive around for a bit. And as I'm getting in my car... this guy approaches me and asks if my car was stolen a few months ago. He then told me that he witnessed the whole thing from inside his car, which has tinted windows. Apparently he called the cops and the operator told him that the person getting robbed (yours trully) was the one who should be reporting this. Don't you love seeing your tax dollars hard at work?
    Anyways... the only discription that I got from this guy was that the culprits were two hispanic punks. Big surprise. Makes you wanna take a page out of crachoar's book and wish things were still done like in the olden days! :mad:
    Though in hindsight I was kinda asking for my car to get robbed, no Honda civic is safe in any "hood" in America.