our culture reliant on money?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by indifference, May 7, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Why has the us culture reliant so much on money?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Indifference strikes again. :)

It's not only the US that is 'reliant' on money. Most cultures that have moved beyond a barter economy are the same...
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
  4. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    because no one wants to do things for free, and thusly you need something to base your economy on, be it gold, shells, our in our case, what used to be paper representations of a specified amount of precious metal.
  5. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Well several philosophers has come up with different systems that they think is better. One obvious example is Marx and Communism. So there are alternatives.
  6. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    "Money makes the world go 'round" -iForget

It's true. Everything is material. It's... bad. But I'm part of it. It's one of those systems I'm not willing to change because I'm content with it and I can't see it any other way. Just keep your perspective and make sure you give.
  7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    blame the money on our evolving mind

every other species does pretty damn well for themselves without money
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    No other species has come up with an iPod, though, so maybe the no-money route isn't all good.
  9. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    i never said it was bad, i tend to enjoy money :p

i was just stating that our mind came up with money so that is why society is reliant on money.

and we only need these iPods because of our mind :p

yes i do have an iPod
  10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    We are not reliant on "money" it's credit that powers the US.

Heck, our culture is so used to credit -- that actually paying cash can cause problems when buying things.

Use $50 or $100 bills to buy something at a store -- and you may be waiting 15 minutes while they search for a manager to verify your bills.

Give them a stolen credit card and you can be out in 15 seconds.
  11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    This is what The (International) Noise Conspiracy question. They believe we are 'all cultural prostitutes' that rely too much on $$$$$ and stuff rather then creativity. They even have a song called "Capitalism Stole My Virginity."

I'd check 'em out if i were you, wonderful music, even though their ideas may be a bit radical.
  12. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    Monty Python Flying Circus "The Money Song"
    singing by Eric Idle
  13. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    in the small town i live in of 1900 residents of many who know each other for years, barter is quite common so i suppose it's quite different than in a large city

in many ways, i think we are approaching the 1950s and our town is yet to see a parking meter, stoplight, or lit up streets (or lit up street signs)...but we do have hot and cold water ;)

dental work for antiques, old computer parts for software advice, nautical work for old vinyl records, and many other trades among people who know and grew up with each other so there's no complaint of who gets the better deal on a trade
  14. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Try living for a month without a cent to your name, then I think you'll know the answer.
  15. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Money is important because it is an incentive for self improvement. It's the invisible hand of Adam Smith.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Money makes the world go around. Right or wrong, that's the reality.

My philosophy is that life is too short to worry about money - therefore, I want to have enough money so that I don't have to worry about things. And I'm not talking millions of dollars or anything - I'm not greedy. Just enough to comfortably live without having to worry about anything. I thoroughly enjoy so many aspects of life that have nothing to do with money, that I want to be able to focus on them more without having to worry about anything.

Kay, there's my late night rant for today... :cool:
  17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    What's the question? That's not a sentence.
  18. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    The richest man is not the man who has the most, but the man who needs the least.
  19. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    "Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defences each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace." - Bill Hicks
  20. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Money is like oil. It eases the trade of goods and services. Would you prefer bartering instead?
  21. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    Quite right. Money is just a means of giving someone what they want in return for something you want. If the real question is "why is our culture *obsessed* by money?", then that's a different question that boils down to this:

1) Largely, humans and most organisms on this earth strive to survive and reproduce;

2) Resources are key to this, since the more food and land you have the more kids you can bring up;

3) Money equates to resources (and power, often)

Now, I believe that the largest upset to how "money makes the world go 'round" will come when our current economic ethos (i.e. an economy that is oil- and agriculture-driven) ends. And this, dear friends, will happen when oil becomes uneconomic to drill. Precisely *because* we are obsessed with money, we are unable to look forward far enough to sort out our impending energy crisis pronto.

Which leads me on to another thought. Are you Americans considering more fuel efficient cars now that oil prices are increasing? Or has the price not really started to bite yet?
  22. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    There is a better world, but it's fu***ing expensive!

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I think that's the best interpretation I've ever seen of the term 'rich'.
  24. wowser macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    Marxism may provide an answer, but certainly not Communism. If you are posting on a Mac forum, then you yourself are reliant on money. Everything in the Western world (and a good deal elsewhere) is reliant on money. There is an alternative: live off the land and become self sustainable. It depends how much you want to do without money.
  25. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i wish more people thought the way you did...unfortunately, you see people in history like alexander the great, attila the hun, manuel noriega, and saddam (just to name a few) and how they were completely motivated by having more than they needed...way, way more and willing to use physical force to either expand on what they had or be put in a position to easily and unfairly manipulate world markets

and these world events and attempts at domination for the goal of more riches affects the rest of us who are not interested in living beyond our means

there are a lot of great things i can say about america but if the world, or a large portion of it, sees us as some sort of impreialists out to conquer, then maybe it's high time that we take a good long look in the mirror

how is the usa any different than past empires like great britain, rome, and greece?

one poster mentioned the invisible hand of adam smith (modern economic theory) but much of what motivates man is the hand of greed, evil, satan, or whatever one may call it