Our Lady of the Underpass

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by leekohler, Apr 20, 2005.

1. macrumors G5

leekohler

2. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

To me it looks more like Jack's girlfriend in The Nightmare Before Christmas.

3. macrumors 68040

Daveway

We Catholics can do some strange things. I'm not with that bizarre train of thought. That's just weird.

4. macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh-speaking of strange things, did you know there are flames behind your head? What do you think that means? :)

5. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

A disproportionately large segment of the American population is extremely stupid. We are witnessing a modern-day Rome before the fall; soft, both in body and mind, resting on laurels of generations past, spending more time on the vicarious experience of entertainment instead of creation and invention.

See China and India in the rearview mirror? They're closer than they appear...

6. macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree with you entirely. Stupidity is the one thing that really angers me. I get angry a lot.

7. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

What are you guys talking about? that is *so* the virgin mary. and it's so obvious, I mean, where else would she appear? in a tortilla? in a cloud? in the smeary rainbows on a church window? um...

problem with the V.M. is that the shape is so generic... basically all it has to be is round. see here, i've made a virgin mary out of a rubberband and some pushpins. Oh, right, you guys can't see this. Well it's going on ebay anyway...

8. macrumors G5

leekohler

A friend of mine and I were thinking about going to wash it off, but then realized we might get beaten to death. :)

9. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Ironically, that's a big problem in the States as well. We have an "anger management" issue where we go from cool to boiling instantaneously, where it's fine to cut people off while driving, give them the finger, key the car that parked in your space, shoot the kid that bullies you, etc.

Though I know this, I seem to anger easily myself. Especially after a few beers... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors G5

leekohler

I was joking-mainly I ignore the stupid. :)

11. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Judging from your location note, I'd probably agree :p

12. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I'm a transplant.

Idiocy is as rare as oxygen here. F-bombs fall like snowflakes in a blizzard from 10 year old's mouths, the ice-cream man comes at 9:30 on a school-night and kicking trash into the sewer grate counts as cleaning up.

On the other hand, my neighbor brought me a big plate of food within 15 minutes of pulling my moving van up...

love/hate...

13. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

I meant the "You got a problem wi' dat" part
    ;)

14. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

This article has kept me laughing all day. It's like, above-the-fold top news on at least three news sites. I gotta find a way on to the Virgin Mary train, it looks like a serious moneymaker. Next Virgin Mary appearance in California's going to be mine - and I'm charging admission, darnit!

I mean, that a bunch of folks are 1) stupid enough to read a Virgin Mary in to a water stain (or grilled cheese sandwich), and 2) willing to erect an alter to it in the middle of a highway underpass really explains a lot to me about why our country has the leadership it does.

15. macrumors 6502

Metatron

There are alot more convincing pictures of Mary out there. Google them. They are interesting.

But people, this one is obvious compared to some of the ones you can google. It is a water stain that left a mineral diposite.

I do not want to sound mean, but that is just crazy.

16. macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

Oh, I always thought his avatar was a young Bill Gates in hell...

17. macrumors G5

leekohler

No kidding! I live here in Chicago and I'm embarrassed. I guess there are morons everywhere.

18. macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG! Wow-I feel stupid. Sorry Daveway! :)

19. macrumors 604

Lacero

Looks like they are praying to piss stains. There's a lot of that sort of thing, plus, poopy stains littered around Vancouver at Granville and Hastings, when I went to visit there to do a TV report of the drug use in Vancouver Chinatown. I must've seen 10-20 Virgin Mary's while filming in the back alleys and such.

20. macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

The worst part is that the American media panders to these morons. Instead of just quoting these idiots the CNN article should have started like this:

What the hell is wrong with the media in this country? How can these idiots be referred to as "a steady stream of the faithful and the curious" but, when the overwhelming majority of the scientific community says that global warming is now more than a theory, it is a reality the media treats it as mere speculation. I suppose if the Antarctic ice shelves melt into the shape of something vaguely religious it might get some attention. Although, it will probably just be used to support the idea that god likes global warming. :rolleyes:

I guess all we can hope for is that a few of these idiots will get hit by passing motorists. I'm sure many visiting this holy site are nominees for the Darwin Award.

21. macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry to disappoint you, but the police are out there with squad cars and have part of the lane blocked off so no one gets hurt! THAT is really and truly scary! At least that's what the TV news is showing here.

22. macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I agree with you guys. Yes, our country is in serious trouble and our collective IQ is around 30.

On topic, I have seen similar ocurrences, especially growing up in Southern California. While I never agreed, or actually saw thge image most saw, some people were genuinely uplifted and touched. So, if at least one person is brought out from hopelessness at least for a few moments... who we are we to judge.

And to the guy who suggested to clean it off: not only will you probably be beaten to Death, but then then as your soul ascends to heaven, you realize... it's actually true! And the Virgin Mary is waiting for you with a not-so amused look. THEN you'll be screwed! :D

23. macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Hey, that's not fair! If someone is dumb enough to stand in a freeway lane staring at a mineral deposit stain they deserve to die.

24. macrumors 604

Lacero

:eek: Wow. That is why they are Catholics and you are not!

25. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Great. They're blocking off a lane on the Kennedy? During rush hour? So these morons can go pray to a water stain? Please.