Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
jefhatfield said:
there is no doubt that the religious right, and even religious moderates w/o a political affiliation are being used by the republicans

but i wouldn't say that the tele-evangleists' faithful would eat cat food in order to denounce satan...but in the days before 1) jim bakker scandal 2) jimmy swaggert scandal 3) jerry falwell stepping down from the moral majority leadership due to untoward financial innuendos towards ptl network, christians were completely trusting of tele-evangelists and their pet projects/ventures

...but we live in a post-scandal era of television christianity and people have not forgotten how corrupt these religious television icons can be when power and money come into play

I would agree with you except for the fact that people rarely learn from the past. I don't think they've forgotten completely yet, but I think they're about to.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jefhatfield said:
there is no doubt that the religious right, and even religious moderates w/o a political affiliation are being used by the republicans

but i wouldn't say that the tele-evangleists' faithful would eat cat food in order to denounce satan...but in the days before 1) jim bakker scandal 2) jimmy swaggert scandal 3) jerry falwell stepping down from the moral majority leadership due to untoward financial innuendos towards ptl network, christians were completely trusting of tele-evangelists and their pet projects/ventures

...but we live in a post-scandal era of television christianity and people have not forgotten how corrupt these religious television icons can be when power and money come into play

Did not mean to paint with such a broad brush, but with the fall of the tele-evangelist as you mentioned, there were reports on more than a handful that fell the their spell. The cat food reference was "literary" reference to how people would put their basic needs above the need to help these evangelists.

The post scandal era that you spoke of has moved from the television to the internet and even local churches instead. There are more than a few churches in the DC area, with even a well-heeled crowd, that bight in to the apple that their preachers give them. That they need to donate to this candidate or cause in order to fight the evil doers that want to take religion away from them and the country.

Otherwise we would not have the RNC pandering to their vote, and by proxy, to their money. Not quite sure if the RNC is a whore, or more like the money changers in the temples. Either way, the religious people should be wary of any political party promising them anything.

For the good book(s) [depending on your religion] talk more about focusing on your good deeds and acts in order to gain acceptance within your God's eyes - than trying to protect everyone else. For the Christians this is evidenced by the following:

MATTHEW 7:1-5

“Do not judge, so that you may not be judged. For with the judgment you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not see the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbor, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbor’s eye.”

As a Christian believer, and one that feels drawn to serving God, I have come to believe that is my actions - rather then my words - that will be the best way to spread His Word.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
leekohler said:
I would agree with you except for the fact that people rarely learn from the past. I don't think they've forgotten completely yet, but I think they're about to.

So right you are. As evidenced by our governments actions. We have chosen to ignore some atrocities in the world, but focus dollars and American lives in other parts of the world.

Why? Despite our pompous Christian posturing, it is about what we can gain by either ignoring or engaging in conflict with those countries that we feel are a threat to our core religious values, or supposedly, sine we tend to invoke Gods name in fighting wars.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Chip NoVaMac said:
So right you are. As evidenced by our governments actions. We have chosen to ignore some atrocities in the world, but focus dollars and American lives in other parts of the world.

Why? Despite our pompous Christian posturing, it is about what we can gain by either ignoring or engaging in conflict with those countries that we feel are a threat to our core religious values, or supposedly, sine we tend to invoke Gods name in fighting wars.

Well of course. And it got so much easier for them after 9/11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.