Our new addition - any Dog experts out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jeremy.king, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

All,

We adopted a dog from a shelter in the area. His name is Riley (4 months old) and hes VERY intelligent - Sit, Come, Stay and Crate in less than three days. Proud papa thoughts aside, I had a question. All the shelter knew was that he was a surrender (not sure why) and they thought he looked like a Redbone Coonhound mix, however, a couple people that we have met mentioned he looks a lot like a Viszla. But who knows, he could be anything. His coat is mostly reddish/golden and he has a tail that contains black. I'm not really a dog expert so perhaps some of you might have some ideas or questions that will help us identify his roots. From what I have googled and read, he has traits of both...

Thanks for your response.

Attached Files:

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Sorry I don't know anything about dogs, but I really wanted to say good for you for taking in a shelter animal. :)

He looks adorable, whatever he is, and it's nice you got him so young.

3. menziep macrumors 6502a

i want him.:)

Please Can i have him. :)

He looks adorable.

btw: i have 2 Boxers

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

We want a dog so bad, or my wife and son do! Your's is a great looking dog! Congrats!

Perhaps some Labrador Retriever in him???

EDIT: I forgot I quoted menziep. I hear boxers are great with kids. We've considered finding one when we're ready!

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

awwwww.... so cute :)

He looks A LOT like my friends dog. I'll ask her about it.

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

7. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Thanks for all the kind remarks...Chalk up another person, my wife's uncle - a dog enthusiast, who said that he looked like a Vizsla...Well he actually said that he looked a lot like that Hungarian pointer breed that he couldn't remember :)

8. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Ahhhhhh... I love it when puppies sit like that. My Lab still does that... it just makes them look like slackers. :)

Do you know for a fact that your puppy is a mix or a purebreed? If a mix, like you said, he could just be a mix of both the coonhound and vizsla.

EDIT: I looked at your links, but one thing stood out for me... your site says that Vizsla's are prone to hip dysplasia (just like Labs). The way your puppy is sitting is, I've been told, a sign of hip dysplasia.

9. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Being a shelter dog, not a lot is known which is why I appealed for help here. The shelters just guess at the breed and wait for a loving home to come along to adopt.

Riley usually doesn't sit like that. I had woke him up to take the picture, so he just pushed himself up from a lying position. Of course, now I am going to see how he sits on his own. :(

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Just so you know, I was only told that the way our dog was sitting was a sign of hip dysplasia, was by someone who had bred and owned labs for a long time... so they weren't completely uninformed. Still, the best way to know for sure is to ask your vet... only they, with an X-ray and physical exam, not just how they're sitting can make the diagnosis of hip dysplasia. We had our lab checked (X-rays and all) as a puppy and our vet told us his hip joints were normal. So take that for what it's worth... sorry if you got alarmed by what I had related to you earlier, wasn't my intention. But since you said that you and others believe that your puppy may be at least part Vizsla, and Vizslas are prone to hip dysplasia... that could be something you and your family might consider discussing with your vet.

11. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Does it have a ridge on its back, it looks a lot like a rhodesian ridgeback. Not sure what you guys call them across the pond. I have two of them, coolest dogs in the world:)
    maybe that can solve the mystery a bit.

12. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Cool dogs, I wanted one... but also prone to hip dysplasia according to dogbreedinfo. So you would still want to discuss that with your vet if this was the case.

13. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Nope, not that i know of. The two that i have at the moment are 13 and 14 years old(reaching the end of their lives:( ) and they have been quite sick lately, but mainly with other stuff, had a cancer scare the other month, they take quite the cocktail before they go to bed. My mom is the vets best friend. But the pair we had before them also lived that long, the one died of throat cancer, and the other of just pure old age, i think the new puppy we got tired her out a bit.

14. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Riley's all grown up

Still never figured out his breed, but did see a very similar dog in a hunting magazine ad while at the doctor's office. I should have kept it.

Here's a pic of Riley I got last week on a snow day.

Attached Files:

15. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Excellent! Look at the intelligence in that face. Or, do you have his attention with a cookie? ;)

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Was thinking the same thing. And for the record, I would love a Ridgeback, stunning dogs.

17. jeremy.king thread starter macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Nope definitely not a ridgeback.

Now that he is full grown, I can definitely see the Redbone in him. I've been googling images of various redbones and hes built like one, just a little shorter and his ears aren't quite as long.

18. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

what ever he turns out to be, he's really sweet.

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Awww... I approve. he sort of has Bassett Hound eyes.