Our Ominously Cool Weather

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Jun 11, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I'm not sure if anyone in the northeastern corner of the US has noticed, but as of yet we haven't had any real summer weather. Temperatures stalled around 85F a few weeks ago, retreating back down into the 60's and 70's. Right now it's June 11th and 58 degrees, set for 69 later today. We haven't had any major warm spells, only two or three thunderstorms, and we even had traces of frost in shady areas a few days ago. What the heck is going on? Is it like this in other places?

(29, 16, 21, 14, and 21 for you metric folks)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

agreed. 60 out right now

4. riciad macrumors 6502

The last week and a half here in Ireland have been gorgeous. We're right at the the beach and all the grandkids plus parents have been practically camping on the beach.

The sea water has warmed up enough so that once you're in you don't want to come out.

When we do get weather like this here it's lovely as it never gets too hot or too humid and cools down nicely at night.

This might be our summer though. It could decide to rain non-stop for 2 months when the kids get their holidays.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

If we can get into July without major nastiness, I will be happy.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We topped out at 13°C here in the Gong today. Down in the mountains the ski season started early for the first time that I can remember and this weekend (Queen's Birthday Long Weekend - traditional ski season opening weekend) has seen about a foot of fresh stuff fall, it's good start for our short season.

Hopefully it's not the end of it and by August when I'm going down it'll be a good couple of metres or so.

Damn I love winter - should have seen the ocean today, the surf was pumping! Nothing like a good east coast low to bring in the wild weather. It rained in Sydney for about 4 days straight last week - biggest wet spell in two years... that's the frightening thing, they reckon we could all be out of water by 2008.

7. dcv macrumors G3

Currently 32.6C on my London roof terrace... and oh yes, I've got sunburn :eek:

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are all you Londoners dropping like flies?

9. dcv macrumors G3

Absolutely. Probably doesn't sound very hot to you, but we're not used to it and all the pollution and lack of breeze just makes it even more uncomfortable. Up to about 25C is pleasant; anything over that in London just isn't.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

So far we've had a really cold winter. Over the last week I don't think it's gone about 15 degrees. Today barely reached 11 and over night it usually plummets to around 2-4 degrees.

Like Chundles, I'm a winter lover. The sound of rain and wind out side is the best and it's much easier to keep warm than get cool. I can't wait until August when I'm going skiing - I haven't been for years but I think I picked the right year to go.

DCV, 25 is my tolerance level as well. You're just lucky you never have to deal with 40+ degree weather.

Oh my, post #3000 - I need a life!

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope but I do have a large fan on, all my windows open and a large jug of iced Pimms next to me. I'm quite chilled :D

And thanks to remembering to lotion up with SPF 15 before going out into the sun, I'm not sunburned :p

12. dcv macrumors G3

Mmmmm, Pimms... might have to make some later :)

Oh I've been using 15 but *still* gone pink :rolleyes:

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

SPF 15? That's the stuff we use after the sun has gone down. SPF 30 is most common here.

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

And it's really only useful if it's got a + after it.

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not really - I hate the heat but 32°C isn't that hot. Not after New Year's Day this year when the temp hit 40°C.........at 10am. Got over 45°C that day.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What does the + signify? UVA and UVB protection? Or just higher than 30?

I have SPF30 for days when I absolutely have to be outdoors at noon or thereabouts. If I'm going out to sit in sun, I tend to head out after 2pm and use the SPF15 liberally applied and reapplied. To be honest, I'm not that into sun-worshipping. I'd rather not look like a wrinkled leathery prune by the time I hit 40 although I do like having a v slight tan just to avoid looking entirely peelly wally.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Don't know about the + but because of our little ozone hole problem we need the + for it to be any good.

And you know you're in Australia when you have to put on sunscreen to go skiing in the middle of winter, with high overcast cloudy skies. I went out on a sunny day in July without my sunscreen on and came back looking like a panda. After one day.

The general rule for summer is to avoid as best you can going out without a hat, sunscreen, shirt and sunglasses between 11am and 3pm. I think all our public (government run) primary (elementary) schools and most of the other private ones have a "no hat, no play" policy that means for kids who don't have a protective hat don't get to go outside for recess and lunch - all schools provide undercover play areas.

It may seem a bit harsh but we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world by a long, long way - an outdoor lifestyle and higher than normal UV levels due to the ozon hole has condemned us to it.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah I think the + means it is broad spectrum but I'm not entirely sure.

I thought you could get sunburnt while at the snow anywhere because of the snow reflecting the sunlight.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I never got burnt in Canada - much higher latitude means the intensity of the sun was much less. In mid-winter there the light at noon was similar to late-afternoon here. Less UV too.

Problem is you just replace sunburn with frostbite.... now that's a nasty thing.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm loving the weather in the Northeast US, too.

Mid 60's and breezy, with a bit of rain -- absolutely liveable.

Once things start pushing 80 -- or worse, when it's midnight and it's still in the high 70s ... then I get cranky.

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, high temps at night are the pits. We had a few weeks here when it was over 32°C at about 1am (90°F and upwards) it was horrible. Humid too, about 85%, you could see the haze around the street lights.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same down here in Virginia Beach.

The last time the summer started like this down here, we ended up with a hurricane. :eek: