our president doesn't write his own speeches!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mgargan1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

2. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

watch the video, and apparently they're called speechalists...

3. joetronic macrumors 6502

one of my old friends is going to school to be a speech writer. Not many "big" people write there own speeches. If Bush sounds like this much of a moron reading someone else's speech, imagine if he wrote his own.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I need to get me one o' them. :p

5. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Are we even sure King George can write at all? :eek:

The video is priceless, btw.

And yes, all presidents have speechalists... ;)

6. aboutthat macrumors regular

I actually heard Dubya speak in the East Room of the White House, mostly impromptu. Surprisingly, it was much better than off a teleprompter and most speeches of his I've heard!

Of course, it was only about 10 minutes in when he called Europe a country :rolleyes:

7. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I read that the reason why Bush comes across the way he does (i.e. stupid) in his speeches is because he deviates from the speeches that are prepared for him. So I think he gets confused between what he wants to say and what the speechalist has written for him.

Im sure most presidents have their own speechalists. Im sure even very well spoken Presidents like Clinton might have even had a couple of speeches done for them. Most leaders have a speechalist.

I saw an interview with Dave Grolh (from the Foo Fighters) when he was in Australia and his father was a speech writer for the Republican party.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

let me say i'm not a fan of george w. but i also have to say that i prefer somebody with less speech skills over those rethorical superheroes. the less skilled person reveals more about their personality than the great speaker. therefore they are more honest.

and not all speeches of w. are that bad. he often keeps things plain and simple. it's up to the listener to agree or disagree (i mostly disagree). but you know what you get.

with some other politicians everthing sounds great but you have no idea what they are saying if they are saying something at all.

my two cents.

9. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

If you want to see how pathetic our current crop of politicians are, compare them against someone like Abraham Lincoln, who wrote his own speeches. Could any of today's politicians or their speech writers ever come up with something as profound and moving as the Gettysburg Address - I doubt it.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It just illustrates:

We choose our leaders by a political process that rewards fundraising, influence brokering and electioneering -- not intelligence, strategic thinking, or ability to reason. They hire experts for that to get themselves elected.

What else would you expect from the result of that selection process than leaders whose primary talents are dispensing political influence among those who got them there, spending money and getting re-elected? And continuing obedience to their paid experts and minders?

11. aboutthat macrumors regular

They probably could. Only problem is that the true sentiments which would make a moving speech are usually supressed by concerns about being "un-PC" or putting themselves in a position where they could be easily attacked by the media. Ya just gotta take a stand and put yourself on the line if you want greatness...just my $0.02

12. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

The video was funny. My favorite part was when Andy Dick interviews the gardener to get speaches from real Americans.

13. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I do know that presidents don't write their own speeches. I was being sarcastic because that's what the video is about. So don't think I'm an idiot

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Pretty amusing.
    I'm no Bush fan and I believe him and all his compadres bungled the War on Terror; is hoodwinking the people of America, and basically bankrupting the country for the next 10 years or so.
    But that video was a bit too Michael Moore-ish for me. And I think Michael Moore is an asshat.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This thread has become to hot-n-heavy.
    we need to move it to the political forums
    where this belongs....j/k

I don't think he sounds like moron when he
    gives a speech. He sounds like a moron when
    he talks of the top of his head.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, it's hard to be compared to lincoln. this guy was a real genius. we get them only once in a century.

but there is also another reason why nowadays speeches aren't that good. with the fast pace of the media speeches have to be given more often, in shorter intervals, right after current events. not much time to think or let things settle a bit. i guess lncoln prepared the gettysburg adress for month in his mind.

there is also probably ten times more information a day going through the presidents office compared to lincoln's time.

as a foreigner i can't of course really appreciate the rethoric of lincoln as much as a native speaker. but it also helps to overlook some of w. rethoric :D .

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Loved the video :), and usually I can't stand Andy Dick.

scem0

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah and the speechwriters work with party (GOP) linguists and strategists who come up with buzz-words to form a common theme (usually known as a "brand") making the GOP White House one of the most well-oiled marketing/communication groups in the world. You think it's coincidence that everyone starts using the phrase "culture of life" or "sanctity of marriage" at the same time? A thinktank comes up with them, then tells the various speechwriters to inclue them. It's very clever, if you ignore the whole, we're-the-ones-getting-schmoozed-here aspect... Down to the reoccuring phrase a few weeks ago, "angry and adrift" to describe Democrats, these words come from a central source.

19. Altima3.5 macrumors newbie

Actually, you don't have to look as far back as Lincoln. Some of the speeches by Churchill or Martin Luther King Jr just send chills down my spine. Can't see anything said by Bush having that effect (or at least, Bush's speeches give me chills for totally different reasons - more like cold sweats really).

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That is the funnies thing I have ever seen in a long while of time! ;)

Thank you! I laughed and laughed!

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, this reminds me so much of my Political Science teacher.

As she used to say, the people most fit for being elected don't get elected, because they are GOOD political scientists. The things they are concerned about and the things they say just go over the heads of the average citizen. The best way to get elected is to speak to the public on a 5th grade level. Have you ever watched one of George Bush's speeches?

I loved that class :D

23. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I thought all president's had at least two or three speech writers. A friend from my high school was hired just out of college as a speech writer for G.W. Bush's first term, but I haven't talked to him in a long time to ask how the experience went. Did Franklin Roosevelt even write his own fireside chats?