Out-Of-Body Experiences

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jul 16, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I have been reading a lot about out-of-body experiences lately. Things like astral projection and remote viewing have begun to interest me quite a bit. I read a lot of information on various websites (such as astralvoyage.com and jonasridgeway.com), and I'd really like to talk with or hear from someone who knows more about these sorts of things or has experienced them firsthand, beit once or on a regular basis.

I have had several strange things happen that lead me to believe that I may have consciously left my body more than once, but I don't really know for sure, or why.

I'd really like to read anything anyone has to share on this topic. :)

2. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Anyone? :eek:

I'm also wondering where I can go to find some sort of training or seminar about astral projection and the likes. I hear and read about them, but none of the websites I visit actually specify how to go about signing up for something like this.

Any help would be appreciated, and please feel free to discuss this topic if you have any interest or anything to share. :)

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

People tend to have out of body experiences after consumption of certain substances...

You can also enter altered states in a religious trance where you disassociate from your body

also very physically painful events can trigger a feeling of seperation from your physical body, the latter is the one I have experieced twice in my life, when I broke my back horseback riding by being thrown and landing on a fence post I felt I left my body and hovered about 8 feet above me and the horse, I could see myself trying to move and responding to the paramedics.

As for the astral projections and remote sensing I think that has to do with more our subconcious than reality.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it's all about the subconscious too.

You might add lucid dreaming onto your list of things to research.

Cool stuff.

e

5. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I've read a lot about ludic dreaming as well. I don't know what to think of it all, but it'd really be something if I were able to do it. :)

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've dreamt lucidly only twice and it was the most amazing experience even though it lasted only seconds :p. I went straight from an awake to a lucid state. I didn't gain awareness during the middle of a dream. It went almost word for word how the wikipedia article on lucid dreaming said it would. The body paralysis freaked me out so much that it woke me up after a couple seconds though :( - both times :(. I still try to dream lucidly when I fall asleep though, mostly unsucessfully.

e

7. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

It's a facinating experience to OOB (Out of Body). When I was younger I had lots of dreams of flying and that is supposed to be an indicator of whether you can, NOT will, OOB. I remember one OOB so clearly. I was in a state of meditation and I left the building for a short while. I saw things that actually was confirmed by a neutral party. They had no reason to lie, because they mentioned one of the incidents before I did. After I returned to the room where my body was, I was in such a euphoric and energized state. I think I annoyed several people, I was so hyper. I had to go out dancing to relieve myself of some of my excess energy.

I know how totally hokey this whole thing sounds, but that doesn't make it any less true. Don't be discouraged by disbelievers. Some people can't wrap their heads around things they can't (won't) touch or accept on faith.

Good luck with your search. I would like to hear more about it.

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, yesterday I read through Robert Bruce's Treatise on Astral Projection and will be putting forth as much time and effort as I can to master the relaxation techniques and everything else discussed. Hopefully I will have a similar experience to those I've read so much about from others.

I hear a lot of people say that this is believed to be possible only by those who cannot differentiate between the dream world and reality. I've read stories of those who have communicated face-to-face with lost loved ones wandering the Astral Plane, and those who have traveled into outer space, to the moon and other solar systems... To be honest, it does kind of make you want to laugh and say "yeah, right..", but I guess because of the "what if?" factor, combined with experiences I have had in the past that only make sense when explained by what is taught on sites like the one I linked to above, I can't help but believe, to an extent, until I can find a way to prove to myself whether or not it's real.

Thanks so far for the input. :)

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I had one at the end of a car crash.* I was not injured at all, but calmly left my body and saw the whole scene from above.* When I got out of the car, I was amazed to see that both the car and the debris it left behind (we rolled over) were just as I had seen them.* Before leaving my body, my life indeed passed before my eyes.* This experience taught me a great deal about the nature of life.

And no, no substances were involved.

10. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I've had one. I read if you just lay down and not move AT ALL for like 20 minutes you can have an OOBE. So that's what I did and it worked. I remember seeing a lightening bolt in my mind's eye before I projected. Once I got out of my body my vision was fuzzy and it sounded like a jet taking off, so I got scared and went right back in my body. lol The whole experience lasted like 30 seconds.
    I remember my body kind of asking permission to project. I have gotten that "asking permission to project" several times since then, but I always don't let it happen because I'm scared.

11. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

@netdog: That's crazy. I've heard a lot of similar stories. I wonder if, by leaving your body temporarily, your body was able to withstand the crash better? Sounds like someone was looking out for you. :)

@eMac4ever: I've never had my body as for permission, but I wish it would, so I could let it! I have, however, been able to reach out of my body as if I were reaching for something above me, then I get excited ruin the experience. Got to learn to relax and let it happen. :D

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I've had a couple "out of body experiences." Though I think most of the stuff people (especially wickens and other religious nuts) believe in is BS. The first is when I was reeeeeeeeeeeeallly high when I was a teen, the second is when I had a thousand pounds of drywall fall on me.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've had a form of lucid dreaming in sleep paralysis which can be absolutely terrifying so I wouldn't wish it on you. And it's not so much OOB as 'stuck in body'

My sister had a few attacks when she was about 16 and I read up on them for her, specifically on how to try to counter them if you were in one since your brain is functioning and can recall things. Then I put it to the back of my mind for the next 8 years or so.

Then one night I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't move. I could have sworn blind there was someone in the room with me who had their weight on my chest holding me down. I couldn't scream, I couldn't speak and I couldn't sit up or move. I was petrified... then I remembered my sister's sleep paralysis and concentrated on just trying to move my little finger and the spell was broken.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've had a few experiences including having visited places I'd not visited physically, including the Winchester mansion in San Jose, California, though we lived within miles of it.

I had recurrent incidents with two aunts' houses. In one case, I heard my aunt and uncle discussing how they were going to pay for their remodeling. Obviously, it's not exactly the kind of thing in 8 year olds' dreams. They complained of a ghost. The other house was boarded up for being haunted.

I've had other, less familiar circumstances that were equally non-dreamlike but they were induced by too much Mountain Dew.

15. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I just watched the astral projection episode of the x files last night - spooky indeed:)

16. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

17. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

you got any more of that killer acid?

18. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

or ketamine maybe...

19. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Yes, but I refuse to share. It's that good. :D

20. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

ahhh.. special k. bad news. you don't want to go into a K hole. you may never come out :eek:

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

... other than the DMT your body's glands were pumping at the moment of impact. ;)

someguy, maybe try reading some Carlos Castaneda as a start?

peace | neut

22. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Last night, lying there in bed, I stayed still and calm as I could. Listened to that ringing in your ears that you get sometimes, and felt myself start to drift off. Fully conscious, I thought to myself, "hey, I'm already making progress!". Soon enough, I couldn't feel any part of my body, and began to think about getting up without physically moving (as described on many "how-to" type AP sites). Right away, I had strange feelings in my legs, as if I could move them around without actually physically moving them. Just as I began to really get somewhere...

*FLASH! FLASH!* :eek:

Lighting from the storm lit the room up multiple times, rapid-fire, like a strobe light and I nearly jumped out of my skin!

I've heard many stories of people hearing and seeing strange and sudden things as they begin to leave their body, and for some reason thought that the flashes were part of the experience. My heart went from a soft, subtle beat to pounding in my chest like a jackhammer!

I hope this experience doesn't hinder my ability to concentrate tonight, but I just thought I'd share this amusing story with you guys. :D

23. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Yeah, they like to interfere sometimes ... especially the closer you get. they're always watching.

peace | neut

24. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Any good links?

:D

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Anyone see the season finale of House?