out of date tin?

Discussion in 'Community' started by ump3, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ump3 macrumors member

Jul 4, 2003
    Whats the most out of date tin anyone has found lurking at the back of their cupboard? I found a BBE 2001 tin of peaches earlier!!

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Last year we were cleaning our house and my mom looked in the top shelf of the pantry and found red beans and she thought they were good since there was no date so we opened the can and we saw some disgustin white stuff - it was opened before and put back :eek:
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I found a 1975 Coke can in my Great Great Uncle's house once. It tasted pretty much like normal, it certainly hadn't gone flat... Very creepy.
  4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    2000 April Can of refried beans still in my cupboard...
  5. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 4, 2003
    Didn't they used to use Cocaine in CocaCola back then? or was that years before?
  6. ump3 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 4, 2003
    Still? lol saving it for a rainy day?
  7. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    a tin's a can right? :p :D
    i have a can of some or other campbell's soup from 1997; thought about throwing it away but figured it must still be there for a reason. had an unopened 12-pack of diet coke so old it lost its sweetness (after opening it and drinking a can)
    if frozen food counts there's 7 .5-gallon cartons of bluebell banana pudding ice cream that are like 4 years old sitting in my freezer...
  8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I live in the South, and we get hurricanes here. Yes, I promise that's relevant. When Opal came through (around '85 I think it was), my mother went very very happy buying several hundred dollars worth of canned food, and stored it in the hallway linen closet. Well, Opal didn't hit Mobile all that hard, and my mother being herself, promptly forgot about all that food she bought.

Fast forward to 1992-93, when we moved, and my dear sweet absent-minded mother rediscovered her treasure trove. She didn't cook for a month, which might have been a blessing under other circumstances, except that a lot of what she bought was no longer in production (various canned pastas and the like).
  9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    When I moved from our other house we where finding all different cans from like 88 and 89. Pretty creepy.
  10. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2004
    Salt Lake

My Brother and I are currently trying to clean out our Grandparents Home, In the pantry's we have found Peptobismal that has seperated into layers, really gross, a (commercial not canned) bottle of pickles all of which just turned to mush... A tin of "TANG" {Pre-Spam, Spam I think}... so far no dates but most pre-1975 at least... as soon as I get some official dates I'll let ya know...
  11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

cleaning out my dads kitchen when we sold the house we found some cans of soup dating back to the early seventies and in the refrigerator we found some condiments left over from the reagan administration
  12. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    Only yesterday, i opened a can of beans, it was just a nasty mush inside. Turns out its was best before OCT 1994. :eek: Had a quick sort out & found a tin of sweet corn 1996 & some sliced mushrooms 2001. All safly disposed of now.
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Refried beans in lard. Yummy. :p Seriously, who buys that stuff?
  14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    When I was in school I got a can of beer from my school girlfriend and didn't drink it because it was monday, I left it in a box I had in my bedroom, I did forget it, totally, I finished school, went to University, left home, 6 years later, I came back to see what my parents kept for me and there was my box, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the beer and old letters from my girlfriend in school... now 2 years later, the beer is still there, more than 10000 KM away from me and I sent the letters back to my school-girlfriend...
  15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    They ended that in the 40s. :( :p
  16. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    just getting anything from my grandma's cupboards is a hazard! we have found plently of things from the mid nineties in the past few years. the worst was probably the tomato ketchup (which was open and had gone dark red and solid!)
  17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Just last week I threw away a tin with expiration date in 1996! The worst part is that this tin has been moved with us through at least three times moving, we moved in 1996, 1998 and now last summer, and the tin has ridden along... :eek: :D