"Out of scan range" at startup

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MoparShaha, Aug 28, 2003.

1. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've got a 21" Dell P1130 monitor with my G4 (see sig.). When I start it up, it says on the monitor "out of scan range", and I can't see anything. This is durring the grey apple part. The monitor will start displaying stuff once the progress bar comes up (initializing network, mailtron gateway...all that stuff). Now, I normally have my screen set to 1600x1200 at 85 Hz. So, I figured that was the problem. I set it to 1024x768 at 75 Hz, a very normal, standard resolution and scan rate. It still does it. I have a second hard drive with OS X on it, and when I start up off of that, I can see my startup grey apple just fine. And I've reinstalled OS X on the drive that gives me the problem. I've also repaired permissions, zapped the PRAM. Is there something I need to change in the firmware?

2. iEric macrumors 6502a

have you tried auto-syncing it when it is in the the gray screen?
    Thats what happened with my NEC 1850E LCD Monitor. It was configured with the PC then I got my mac and then it was like that..all i had to do was to AutoSync it.

3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I also have this issue. It should be the 1600x1200 resolution (at refresh rates greater than 70) and shouldn't happen at other resolutions.... AFAIK there isn't any fix. The one thing I found that sorta is to turn off the monitor before startup and turn it on after 10 seconds or so (I watch my USB hub---when the lights go on, I can turn my monitor on)....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I don't think this is a big enough problem for Apple or ATI to care about.

4. MoparShaha thread starter macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I figured it is pretty much unsolvable unless I bring down the refresh rate. I tried it at 60 Hz at 1600x1200 and it worked, so I guess I have to live with it. Thanks for the info guys.