Out of the following systems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by bennetsaysargh, Apr 7, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

Out of the following systems, and the following systems only, which is the best.

Playstation 1
    Nintendo 64
    Dreamcast

I personally think that Dreamcast is the best because of Sonic The Hedgehog:D

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Please quantify best.

On graphics quality and speed, Dreamcast would be the best. On quantity of games, Playstation would be best.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If I had to chose just one of those to use for the rest of my life it would be the original Playstation.

4. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

the original playstation was by far the best looking and most versatile platform in gaming history, and it looks as though PS2 has yet to surpass it in usage. Dreamcast was a failed attempt at next gen gaming, but Sega still competes in the software arena. N64 was.......a joke. Twice the graphical power of PS1 for half the graphical quality, with crappy games to boot. Of all the people I know who owned an N64, only about 3 of them ever played any games besides Goldeneye. The PS1, to this day, outsells the XBOX, or at least it did when i read the article about two months ago.

5. Zion Grail macrumors regular

The PSOne is outselling the Xbox only in Japan. And that was months ago, sales have increase there since then (though it's still very low).

The Xbox is far outstripping the PSOne in monthly sales in the rest of the world, and is in a solid second place worldwide between the three consoles of this generation.

Back on topic, I'd go with the Dreamcast. The title list is low but the average quality is very high. Mmmmm.... Skies of Arcadia... Jet Grind Radio... PSO... w00t!

6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i have a PS2 but still play my dreamcast all the time. last year when they were liquidating DC stuff, i bought about twenty games in a month, never paying more than 5 for a game. I got some kick ass stuff (dead or alive 2, resident evil: nemisis, code veronica, nfl 2k3, tony hawk 2, etc etc) you couldn't beat it with a stick. my vote is to DC. N64 sucks. PS1 is ok.

7. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I have heard the the Gamecube runs a G3 proc, but I may be wrong. I am not into games much but I still prefer the Apple II, Now that was an over powered game console.:D

8. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

9. medea macrumors 68030

medea

toss up between the psone and dreamcast, you can still buy a psone and there are actually games still coming out for it and it has a huge library already, if you can get a dreamcast the games are really cheap now and it has some excellent titles, so.....
    I'd go with the psone, and hook up one of the little portable screens to it.

10. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

does anyone know th price of one of those portable systems with the lcd?

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i could play mario kart for n64 for years....

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Wouldn't your hands become tired?

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

nah, i give em good workouts........

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You can get a PSOne with the lcd complete for between $150 to $200. They also make the LCD screens for the PS2, Game Cube, and XBox. Prices for the LCDs for those are between $100-$200.

15. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

thanks MacBandit. i might get a ps1 w/ and lcd screen later this year once i get a job.

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Dont get a PS1, you can emulate them on any old G3 mac. The N64 has the better games overall, but the dreamcast has better graphics and some very good games. If you get the N64 get Perfect Dark, my favourite game of all time, I still think it has not been beaten even on the new consoles.

People that say the N64 games are crap have never played it, the PS1 had some good games but most were crap. More people use Windows, it does not mean it is the best OS. The graphics on the PS1 and PS2 were never good enough for my liking, the Playstations have always been the slowest of the gaming machines (except the sega ones which failed).

I have all of the consoles since 1994 (except PS1/2 Xbox). My dreamcast can even run PS1 games (with bleem) and they look better on a dreamcast because it improves the graphics.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

So do I still, and i have gamecube. N64 games never die, look at goldeneye! They had perfect dark but it wasn't built on the same engine and it was a little worse, me and my friends 1 time every 3 months go to someones house and play Goldeneye, still kicks.

18. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Yeah, I can't wait for a GC version to come out, the mario kart games are some of my all time favorites, I still remember when I first played it on the snes....ah snes, good times.....

19. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

what app do you use to run ps1 games? and does anybody know about one that runs ps2 games? also, whereb did you get bleem? i heard about that a while ago, but couldn't find it anywhere.

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the gameplay might not have been quite as solid... but the multiplayer options for perfect dark were beyond belief! the fact that you could do an arena style with only one human player was sweet

wish halo had such options.

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: 1 word

Yep, 64 bit 10 years before the Nintendo 64... It could only be done by Atari.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: 1 word

Second that.... ;)

Hardcore! ;) :p

23. iGav macrumors G3

We don't wanna know..... :eek: dirty boy... :p :p :p

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: 1 word

Third that! ;) Got to stick with Apple, the future!

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: 1 word

I hope you understand they are talking about the Atari Jaguar I think it came out in the Fall of 1993.