Out of Whack Bondi Imac Price...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 150hp, Jan 14, 2007.

1. 150hp macrumors regular

Hello, All-

This is a story quite the opposite of my last one seen here:

$2 Wireless Keyboard

I went thrifting in Northern Door County, Wisconsin today. Hit the 2 resale shops open in winter. Of course, had to go & look for Apple stuff. 1st store, zilch. Although I did score a nice Swatch:

Velvet Underground

So on to the next store. They had some Mac stuff. LCII, RGB monitor, & a 385mb external drive, $10 each. Ok, that's cool. Then I spy a mint looking Bondi iMac, 233. I read over the specs they had written on a sheet & I notice someone wrote "SOLD!" on it. The lady behind the counter says "Sorry, its sold." "Thats OK" I reply. She then tells me it is VERY nice, it was the first iMac, it includes the hockey puck mouse (like thats a bonus?) & that she tried it out it seems to work well but she doesn't know about computers. The surprise is the asking price of $700.00!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: & I just had to know what it sold for.

So I ask if it sold for $700.00 "Oh no, not that much." was the reply. Whew, I'm thinking more like $70 is what they meant.

She proceeds to inform me they took someone's offer of $600.00 + tax!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: I was speechless... Who drops $600 on computer that old that sells on eBay for $70 shipped? I wonder what they could get for my iMac with its Airport card & MX1000 mouse.

I just left the store after that. At least this store runs off of donations & use the money for the community.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Wow. Sell them all of your old stuff to them and get lots of $

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

$600 for a iMac G3 233MHz???!!! :eek: That is a complete ripoff. :eek:

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Are you sure you didn't miss the huge chunk of gold they were selling with it?

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

There had better been gold inside of the iMac for that price! ;) :D

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's a good way to move some China White.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

There was probably some B.C. bud stashed inside. ;)

8. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Well, for all we know, whoever bought it knew what it was worth and just wanted
    to make a nice donation for the community. Those iMacs go for $25.00 on Craigslist
    in the SF Bay Area.