Out with the bundled software!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ravenvii, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why do manufacturers insist on including all kinds of crap with drivers for their hardware? I'm looking at you, HP! I needed drivers for the PSC1210, so I downloaded the drivers... and guess what? It came with all kinds of crap, and I had absolutely no choice but to install them. When the printer setup assistant popped up, it couldn't see my printer, because it was hooked up to the AirPort, and accessed via Bonjour. So I quit the "assistant", and tested the printer. It worked perfectly fine. After a permissions repair and restart, that assistant popped up again! I closed it, went to the accounts preferences and chekced the startup items... yep, it's in there. I removed it, and did a restart as a test. And that's right, along came the "assistant"! I finally just went and deleted the whole HP folder in applications. The printer's working fine.

I'm sure there's bits and pieces of that damn POS scattered around the HD. All this, and the only thing I needed was a simple driver!

Jesus H. Christ, wouldn't it be CHEAPER to just supply the driver?

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Why didn't you install it when you install Tiger? But yea, I hate it when they put crap on there that you don't want. That is why I say people should always do a clean install when they get a Windows (or Mac for that matter) computer. Clear off all of the crap...

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

My mom has an HP and I installed the drivers so I could print out 1 thing on her printer. It installed other crap that kept trying to load itself all the time and drove me nuts. Like I was using Windows again. That piece of crap software got trashed fast. Like I need a print assistant... What the heck.

I was ticked off too.

4. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

It wasn't on my Tiger machine, it's on another, running Panther. I didn't install the printer drivers with it because at the time it was hooked up to a Lexmark all-in-one, and that particular model wasn't included with the printer drivers, so I decided not to waste space with those useless drivers.