Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Announced back at CES earlier this year, Netatmo today is officially launching its smart outdoor security camera, called "Presence," for $299.99. Using a "breakthrough deep-learning algorithm," the Presence security camera detects people, cars, and animals that appear outside the home, and reports all activity via notifications and recordings through the connected Netatmo Security app. [Direct Link]

The camera's smart learning algorithm allows it to decipher between objects, people, and animals, and subsequently send notifications that dynamically warn users of exactly what's appearing outside their home with the text: "Person seen," "Car seen," or "Animal seen." The company said this provides peace of mind for everything from everyday to vacation homes, and can alleviate worry for problems when users aren't home, such as warning when a delivery driver has dropped off a package.

netatmo-presence-2.jpg

Presence captures 1080p videos "under any light conditions" with an extensive 100 degree field of view and 65 foot detection range. The Wi-Fi connected camera is waterproof and can resist sun, ice, rain and wind.
"Presence marks a new step forward for consumer security cameras. Unlike existing surveillance systems that need human analysis, Presence understands what's happening outside the house and operates without requiring a subscription. The camera instantly detects unusual situations and sends precise notifications to the users' smartphone. Presence offers peace of mind to the users: it alerts them in real time if there's a break-in, an intruder, or property damage", explains Fred Potter, Founder and CEO of Netatmo.
In terms of the camera's push notifications, Netatmo says they're "entirely customizable," so each person can decide whether they want to automatically record movement caught by the camera, only get notifications for people arriving, only record wandering animals, etc. With a feature called "Alert Zones," users can also designate Presence to warn them of activity in up to four specific places like a yard, property gate, garage door, or other areas. If users choose to begin recording video footage, Netatmo provides free video storage with the Presence.

netatmo-presence-3.jpg

There's also a time lapse feature so users can catch up on the last 24 hours of activity caught on the camera, through one picture taken each minute, so it's easy to discover and evaluate any potentially dangerous activity taking place outside a home. This includes nighttime activity, because the Presence has a powerful infra-red night vision mode, as well as an integrated smart floodlight "that can detect and scare off any unwanted visitors or light the way when it's dark."

Additionally, Presence is compatible with IFTTT, a connected smart platform that allows users to connect hundreds of different services together in one place in order to string together smart "Recipes." According to Netatmo, this can result in a variety of useful commands to make life easier for Presence users.
They can then use simple "if this, then that" statements called Recipes to automate and control different aspects of their connected home. For example, an IFTTT user could say "if Presence detects a car in my driveway, then open my connected garage door." Other practical Recipes include, "If Presence detects an animal in the garden, then turn off the sprinkler," and "if Presence is disconnected from WiFi, send me a notification."
In terms of storage, Presence stores videos locally on an internal micro SD card, but users can also choose to transfer them to their Dropbox account or their personal FTP server. For those worrying about the addition of another subscription fee with Netatmo's outdoor camera, the company confirms that "storage is entirely free and does not incur any additional subscription or fee." The camera is also secured by end-to-end encryption when data is transmitted between it and the smartphone app.

netatmo-presence-1.jpg

Netatmo said that installation is easy because the Presence simply replaces an existing outdoor light. With iOS 10, the Netatmo Security app also supports rich notifications so users can catch glimpses of each recording of the camera without unlocking their phone. The company's notification range extends to apps on the Mac and Apple Watch, as well.

Anyone interested can pick up a Netatmo Presence beginning today from Apple, Amazon, and Home Depot for $299.99.

Article Link: Smart Outdoor Security Camera 'Netatmo Presence' Now Available

Reactions: asleep

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I bought the ring video doorbell and it works. This might be another option if you want to capture movement, but are not interested in the doorbell functionality. But what I like about the ring solution is that I can watch live when motion is detected or when the doorbell is rung and can even speak to the person from wherever I am. And it is a cheaper solution.

Reactions: centauratlas

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
In terms of storage, Presence stores videos locally on an internal micro SD card, but users can also choose to transfer them to their Dropbox account or their personal FTP server.
This is great, as long term storage is a feature missing from many other cameras.

For those worrying about the addition of another subscription fee with Netatmo's outdoor camera, the company confirms that "storage is entirely free and does not incur any additional subscription or fee

Another good thing. It seems a few other products that had long term storage features, they required some type of sub fee.

I might look more into this, I wonder if it will come to Lowes?

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
The company's notification range extends to apps on the Mac and Apple Watch, as well."

Is this Homekit compatible? If not, why not?

This is my question as well, but from the looks of it I'd doubt it since they don't seem to mention HomeKit outright. So far the only home security camera I've seen that is HomeKit compatible is the yet-to-be-released Canary Plus, but that's indoor only. I wish there were a HomeKit-compatible outdoor camera option.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Yeah, my first question was Home Kit????? And it doesn't say it is.

If everyone asks them the question, perhaps it will clue them in it add it - if it isn't already.

They replied VERY quickly (as you can tell by this edit) and were quite friendly, but no love for Home Kit. What they said:

Our product is not compatible with apple home kit.
There is no concrete information I can share with you yet, concerning a potential future compatibility with the apple home kit.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Reactions: longpath

StevenPG

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
As fast as these are coming out I don't know if I'll ever fill comfortable buying something. Seems like the day after I purchase something there will be something better. Gotta love technology.

My current plan is Rong doorbell with Nest Cams.

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
I'd buy a few of these today if the lights were more like the Kuna ones. I may still. No subscription, local storage, notifications. I really like this model. I don't mind paying a little more up front rather than every month in perpetuity.

Reactions: KazKam

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Won 4 CES awards... definitely on my short list of security cameras.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Won 4 CES awards... definitely on my short list of security cameras.

I jumped on the NetAtmos bandwagon early, buying my mom a weather station, and outdoor thermometer/barometer. That went pretty well, so I added the rain gauge and wind gauge. Both have been massive failures. I get I might receive a dud, but what are the odds 2 out three gauges are bad out of the box.

To make matters worse NetAtmos has provided horrible customer service. They've essentially claimed "we're not doing it right" and have had every visiting member of my family "calibrating" the rain gauge every, to which they claim we're all doing it wrong despite explicit instructions. The wind gauge won't even pair with the base module, and they continue to claim we're not doing it right.

This company does not seem to stand behind their products and have gone out of their way to make owning one as unpleasant an experience as possible. Both are still within the 1 year warranty period, so I'll be pushing to get them to take them back and refund our money. What do you want to be they'll make me pay to return them?

I wouldn't trust this camera as far as I can throw it. I'll keep with my Nest DropCam thank you very much. It's proven reliable and trustworthy from a company that seems to get "it just works" -- with excellent customer service to date.

Reactions: sevimli

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm going to be honest, this thing looks hideous and I don't want this attached to my residence. I would prefer something more discreet. But the features are nice. 1080 P is a selling point for me as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxxodd

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Yeah, my first question was Home Kit????? And it doesn't say it is.

If everyone asks them the question, perhaps it will clue them in it add it - if it isn't already.

They replied VERY quickly (as you can tell by this edit) and were quite friendly, but no love for Home Kit. What they said:

Our product is not compatible with apple home kit.
There is no concrete information I can share with you yet, concerning a potential future compatibility with the apple home kit.

Have a nice day.

Was curious about HomeKit compatibility also. Then tried to think of scenarios where that would be a must have for a security camera. Essentially, the camera is on and recording when necessary. What do I need to have Siri do to it with a voice command? If the wifi connection is lost, I'll get a notification from Netatmo. Lack of HomeKit support in this particular instance isn't a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: KazKam

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This is a cool system. A bit pricey to get installed in a larger facility perhaps. I'm kind of looking into this stuff a little now as I'm a building manager and have been asked to get a security camera system installed, but we need about 15 cameras...

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
This is great, as long term storage is a feature missing from many other cameras.

Another good thing. It seems a few other products that had long term storage features, they required some type of sub fee.

Agree. This is what's making me seriously consider this product... no sub for storage, and options for storage. Also, as a true "outdoor" camera, $299 is not that expensive, relatively speaking.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Agree. This is what's making me seriously consider this product... no sub for storage, and options for storage. Also, as a true "outdoor" camera, $299 is not that expensive, relatively speaking.

Yea, I see a lot of potential here. The storage options alone interest me. All the other features seem nice too.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I tried the indoor Netatmo Welcome camera and even though it saves motion alerts locally on SD Card or FTP (worked well), you can only live view if there is a connection with their server. This will be the same with the Presence. Also wouldn't get a motion alert if not connected. However I quite liked the Welcome (decided an indoor camera wasn't for me) so very interested in the Presence apart from the price which is a bit steep £249 imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.