"Outfoxed" Commentary

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Aug 8, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Who else has watched this movie? My copy arrived on Friday (they can be purchased for $9.95 at outfoxed.org).

My most lasting reaction to the film came from the segments targeting Bill O'Reilly. They could easily have devoted the entire hour and a quarter just to exposing him. The man is so completely unhinged, such a pathological liar (as Al Franken calls him in an interview), that his very presence on Fox discredits them as a purveyor of news.

The overall message of the movie, at least the way I take it, is that we're in danger of creating a Balkanized media in the US, even as it becomes concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer. Even if it was nothing else, Fox is the model for market-driven news. Not that this an entirely new concept -- I also take away the sense that Murdoch is the heir apparent to William Randolph Hurst. And if that doesn't give you a serious case of the yips, then you don't know your history.

Technically speaking, the film is a bit rough. It was probably made on equipment not much more sophisticated than what many of us have at home. Not that this is a bad thing, necessarily, but the movie does have a few cheesy production moments.

On a whole, well worth seeing IMO. I'm going to circulate my copy among friends.

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

from www.m-w.com

Main Entry: bal·kan·ize
    Pronunciation: 'bol-k&-"nIz
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): -ized; -iz·ing
    Usage: often capitalized
    Etymology: Balkan Peninsula
    : to break up (as a region or group) into smaller and often hostile units
    - bal·kan·i·za·tion /"bol-k&-n&-'zA-sh&n/ noun, often capitalized

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you can say that again

;-)

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to. Hopefully I can find it in my local video store.

I don't know...the fact that we even call it "news" is disturbing to me. I think we need to open a whole new category for this kind of "news". But what to call it? Pseudo-news? Toxic news?

6. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

European news coverage is just so much better. The BBC for example has much more objective coverage and features much more global coverage and does not concentrate only on Great Brittain or America. Further they also don't sensationalize the news. Compared to Europe, the news here are like entertainement.

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. No one should ever repeat themselves. It's repetitive and redundant. ;)