'OutKast' not allowed in Kansas libraries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LethalWolfe, Aug 10, 2004.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link

From article:
    I never got around to posting in the "Denver Airport" thread so I thought I'd start my own censorship thread. :p

If there is any place that stuff like this shouldn't take place it is most certainly at a Library.

Lethal

2. friarbayliff macrumors regular

True, this is a cesorship issue - though I have never understood the purpose of popular music and movies in a public library...

However, if most libraries can justify the garbage they put on their shelves (aka 'adult' fiction / Vampire Goddess of Temptation IX), then I can't see why the censorship of these CDs is justified.

3. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Because not everyone can afford to buy/rent them.

Lethal

4. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Disgraceful

Is is just me, or do all republicans in power love to censor everything, and neglect the constitution? So according to Kline, things like smoking bans, Outkast, and gay marriage are the real problems in kansas? What a great Attorney General with great priorities!

What ever happened to the protection of the minority from the tyranny of the majority? Outkast has excellent music that many many youth do enjoy. Basically Klien is censoring CD's that are being given to the public library for free because Outkast has a song called "Bombs over Baghdad", because Andre 3000 is trying to get youth to vote (which means more votes for Kerry), because Outkast discusses things like abortion, and uses the same words our VP uses on the senate floor in their songs. This is blatently partisan propaganda designed to silence anyone who isn't a rich white evangelical conservative christian, and this is an outrage!

--Waluigi

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think people have a right to not be offended. we don't need vulgar CD's in public places. music should be heard only in private, out-of-the-way rooms where people can go _expecting_ to hear music. there's no reason to subject people to music in a place that's meant for other things. especially in a library where it's supposed to be quiet, anyway.

</sarcasm>

sorry, just projecting the "anti-airport art" sentiments i heard in that other thread...

6. Colirio macrumors newbie

Wasn't it Al Gore's wife (a Democrat) that promoted putting warning labels on music CD's? Didn't that spark a huge debate because many music artists felt that they were being censored?

I don't think this is a politically motivated move. In fact, I don't believe that you could even say that the party lines are a good indication of where people's beliefs of this issue lie. I believe that it's a morality debate. There HAS to be lines drawn somewhere. The question is WHERE should the lines be drawn?

Offensive "art" doesn't bother me as much as harmful "art". I would think that the lines would be drawn somewhere in between those two terms.

I only have freedom to the point where it begins to enroach upon your freedom. Once it crosses those boundaries, it is no longer considered freedom.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Very True. Not to highjack the thread, but I take it you are pro Gay-Marriage then?

8. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Putting a label on music to tell parents that the language contains X is not censorship. It allows parents to make educated decisions about what music to buy for their children w/o having to listen to every single song. :rolleyes:

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's not a labelling issue -- distribution was stopped

10. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you are reading too much into it. Music gets banned/censored all the time for no other reason than people in positions of power (from either party or neither party) don't like what it says and/or thinks it's corrupting/demonizing/harming the "fragile ears" that listen to it. Of the handful of bands listed OutKast is by far the biggest (which is probably why OutKast got the headline). Notorious B.I.G . is dead. Rage is gone. Stone Temple is gone. Lou Reed is probably not even known by very many under 35. Devo. :confused: That just dosn't make sense unless you think "Whip it" is some pop S&M song (which someone probably does).

Lethal

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I was refering to the Al Gore's wife comment ;)

12. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

thats not the the point. A library is exactly that. A library, its supposed to contain media of all types from all times of the history of our civilization. Regardless of what you think about censorship, it has no place in a library. Its a matter of prinicple that these things should be available to matter how vulgar or sick or controversial. Somebody said it, let it be heard.!

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Censorship creates free publicity. Banned from the Library - wow must save my pocket money and buy it. Ask Madonna - she's made millions out of being banned and she's not the only one.

14. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

may well be true, but doesn't stop censorship from being plain wrong on principle.

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

You are right of course, well sort of....

We all want some form of censorship.

Maybe what I wanted to say was that often the banning of something is actively seeked by artists, promoters etc as a way of increasing sales or even selling something in the first place. This makes a mockery of banning it in the first place.

16. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

more power to them then. Lets make a mockery of censors everywhere! :)

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Again I sort of agree with you but we could end up buying a lot of s**t just cus it has been banned....

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

i won't buy it if it's s**t! If you do then that's your own fault :p

19. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not condoning<sp?> censorship, in fact quite the opposite (read my original post). I was responding to Waluigi's post which seemed to rationalize this as a republican conspiracy to keep people from hearing an anti-war song by an artist that, according to Waluigi, would channel votes to John Kerry.

My point, in the post that you quoted was, basically, that it's not a right-wing poltical conspiracy but just plain, old fashion cenorship (the kind that gets commited regardless of political affiliation).

Lethal

20. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I didn't you or me - I meant the masses (you know the ones - they use windoze). Sadly they will buy c**p just because its banned.

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Yes, you are obviously correct, I bet they're ALL card carrying Nazi members. I mean I can't wait for a democrat leadership to magically right all wrongs in the world. I'm just not sure there are enough non rich white evangelical conservative christian people in America to vote democrat. I just know that non rich white evangelical conservative christian people wouldn't vote republican for any reason, ever.

I vote we ban all rich white evangelical conservative christian people, just incase they all vote Republican and ruin the world some more.

In fact let's ban all voting unless it's for democrats. That way if we want to concentrate on the failings of a government we can study a democrat one for a change. Maybe we'll notice a corrupt connection between politicians in general, rather than pretending that one ideollogy has the moral high ground over another.

and no I don't vote Republican.

:rolleyes: