Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

58bits

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Same here.

Same here. Outlook 2011 is nice - but I'm going blind composing mail on my new MBP 15" hi-res anti glare screen.

Thanks for the feedback link posted further down in the thread. I've submitted my feedback - and encourage others to do so as well.

Will have to use command++ and then command+- for now as also suggested in this thread.

Hello everyone,

I'm loving Outlook for Mac 2011 and I have just one complaint that is bothering me because it makes it almost unusable. I have a 15" MBP with the new hi-res antiglare screen. A lot of fonts are quite small, so when I'm reading mails in Outlook i normally increase the size by hitting Apple key+'+'. This works beautifully and makes everything easy to read. The problem comes when I hit reply because there appears to be no way to increase the viewing size, so I end up typing with my face practically pressed up against the screen (I have 20:20 vision, so I have no idea how people with poorer sight would cope!).

Does anyone know how to get around this problem? It's driving me so mad that i am thinking of returning my MBP for a refund!

Cheers
jimbo

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
The 10-point fonts in Entourage 2008 are LARGER than the 12-point fonts in Outlook 2011.

Entourage used points for rendering fonts but the new, WebKit based editor in Outlook uses pixels. The difference is that pixels will typically render much smaller on your device that the same point (search "points vs pixels" for a deeper explanation).

A workaround is to turn off HTML and reply in Plain Text. You set the size and font in Preferences for what you like. The receiver will see the font and size they selected in their font preferences for plain text.

It might not be pretty, but at least you can read it. :)

jeremias13

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
South Dakota
font size too small AND inconsistent

I'm struggling with this as well and I also notice that what I send is not what recipients receive.

Fer instance, I send an email 11 point arial and it's received in Microsoft Windows Outlook as 8.5 point arial.

I'm loving my new Macbook and am eager to migrate away from my PC but, this kind of thing is really frustrating!

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Any resolution to this yet? It's annoying! I actually didn't realize it until someone finally complained and thought I was doing it on purpose. Does this problem also appear in Mail?

Thanks!

pwhite8314

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2008
I have this issue as well...as a LONG time Windows user, I'm really trying to love the Mac now, but dumb issues like this are annoying. I don't want to send emails as plain text (ugly!), but I hate having to put my glasses on to compose an email on my MBA!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
The fonts in Fonts Disabled are put there by Microsoft Office because they are duplicates of OSX fonts. They are also older version. Microsoft missed a few so you should further prune your fonts. Having duplicate fonts can cause crashes.

Office 2011 Duplicate Fonts to Delete

The new, WebKit based editor in Outlook uses pixels. The difference is that pixels will typically render much smaller on your device that the same point.

Outlook's size 14 is equivalent to Entourage2008's size 12.

Try the “c” fonts they display better in a cross platform situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.