Outlook Express, Microsoft word documents and ACT database

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brobson, Dec 12, 2004.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My husband has a new job and may need access to these programs from home.
    I have a new G5 and we really don't want to buy a new PC. Can Virtual PC or Office for mac suffice?
    He will need to have email access, write word files and ACT is a database he will need to have access to.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Buy Office 2004 for the Mac. It makes no sense to buy a Mac and then buy Windows software for it. FWIW, Office 2004 is currently the latest version of the suite on any platform. MacOS X has an excellent email client in Mail. You may also use Entourage 2004, which is part of the Office 2004 bundle. Are you sure that your husband needs ACT? What features does this application have that are missing in the Entourage contact database or that of Apple's AddressBook application? Your husband really should look for MacOS X contact management software. Use Windows software on Virtual PC only when there is no Mac title that fits his needs.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks MrMe
    I do know he'll need the database.
    I am wondering if as a teacher I should get the student teacher edition.
    Will that have outlook?
    Will I need Virtual PC that comes with the professional to get to the database?
    I guess I could add it later if I need it but buying it all in one package seems smarter if the price is better don't you think?

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Does he need access to run those programs locally at home or does he need to be able to work remotely?

It would seem quite unusual for a company to require you to use something like ACT! out of the office and not provide a laptop for this purpose, plus they would need a way to synch the databases and I doubt they would open up ACT! to the internet although I guess they could do that via a VPN but still seems a lot for an employee to do on a personal computer.

If he only need to connect remotely to work and work through Citrix, RDP or similar then OSX has pretty good support for that sort of thing so you might want to get him to clarify what he actually needs.