Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
OK, OK, I know their have been threads in the past that delt with syncing outook with OS X but I thought I would create a thread concerning iCal.......

Like many of you, I have to use a PC at work. I can access outlook on said PC either through webmail or Remote Desktop Connection but what I would really like is an automated way to sync my oulook calendar with iCal. I thought AddressX would work but it requires ananymous connectons to the exchange server which is apparently a no no from a security perspective. How have you sync'd outlook calendar with iCal?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
lom8104 said:
OK, OK, I know their have been threads in the past that delt with syncing outook with OS X but I thought I would create a thread concerning iCal.......

Like many of you, I have to use a PC at work. I can access outlook on said PC either through webmail or Remote Desktop Connection but what I would really like is an automated way to sync my oulook calendar with iCal. I thought AddressX would work but it requires ananymous connectons to the exchange server which is apparently a no no from a security perspective. How have you sync'd outlook calendar with iCal?
OK. The last Mac version of Outlook for the Mac was Outlook 2001. It is not Outlook that you want to synchronize; it is Exchange. Microsoft's current Exchange-compatible (sort of) app on the Mac is Entourage 2004. It is available as part of Office 2004. However, iCal is compatible with some implementations of Exchange. If so, it will sync with your Exchange calendar.

lom8104

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
So I have to first get entourage to sync with the exchange server at work, then sync iCal with entourage? I'm really surprised there isn't a more elegant solution.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
lom8104 said:
So I have to first get entourage to sync with the exchange server at work, then sync iCal with entourage? I'm really surprised there isn't a more elegant solution.
You totally misunderstood my post. I said that iCal will sync with some implementations of Exchange. I did not say that Entourage 2004 was required for iCal to work. Entourage 2004 is the Microsoft problem--I mean solution. You have to pay extra for it. Apple's solution is Mail/Address Book/iCal. They ship with your Mac and MacOS X.

Based on your original post, you don't seem to understand Exchange and Outlook. Exchange is Microsoft's proprietary server technology for enterprise communication. Outlook, Entourage 2004, Mail, Address Book, and iCal are applications which may be used to access Exchange servers.

Caveat. Many implementations of Exchange are incompatible with iCal [, Mail, and Address Book]. In these cases, your only alternative is to use Microsoft's godforsaken POS, Entourage 2004.

jovada

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Is it really necessary to synch with Exchange? I'm looking for the same functionality as in the first post, but my idea was to look for an Outlook plugin that would synch my Exchange calendar at work with some intermediate service on the internet, which then can be read by my personal iCal app at home...
Any ideas?

Kocab

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2006
Use the google to outlook sync program that Google supplies, and then access the google calendar you're syncing to via the CalDAV protocol in iCal.

If you want to sync the iCal data to mobile me, you'll need to use a 3rd party solution like busy-sync or spanning sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.