Outlook on PC to Mail on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bursty, Apr 16, 2006.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Before you yell, I searched and found the process needed to take my Outlook emails and export them to Mail on my MBP. Here is one such link:
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/9928
    and:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Moving_Email_from_PC_Outlook_to_Apple_Mail

As the process states, it says to simply drag and drop into Entourage. However, the files (emails) that I am moving arent in the ".eml" format that it says. They are all in ".msg" format which wont let me drag and drop into Entourage. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Anyone know of an easier way? Any help is appreciated. :eek:

2. pashazade macrumors member

Hi

Did you use Outlook or Outlook Express? According to the O'Reilly site you need to drag the folders from Outlook Express to get the .eml files.

Also, are you dragging the mailboxes; not the mails?

Alternatively you could pay $10 and get Outlook2Mac (http://www.littlemachines.com/)

Good luck.

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Its Outlook, and I am dragging each individual email, not the folders.

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Is it worth trying to import the mailboxes themselves?

5. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Not sure what you mean :confused: Theres no way in Outlook to "Import to Mac". Theres an option to export to a ".pst" file, but apparently Entourage and Mail dont support .pst files.

This whole process seems extremely simple but my GOD have they made it incredibly complicated. :mad:

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

No, but there is a very easy import from entourage/outlook option in Mail. :)

7. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Thats for Outlook on the Mac, not from a PC. :)

The search continues... :(

8. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

A couple of years ago I did this without extra software. I imported from Outlook to Outlook Express. Then imported from OE to Entourage. Then selected all the emails in each mailbox and dragged them to the desktop. (They were placed in mbox format as part of the drag/copy process) then imported to Mail. That worked ok for me but was a bit convoluted & I didn't know any better.

This contains links and instructions for three alternative tools (Outlook2mac, Dxconv, and another method using Mozilla).

Good luck.

9. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, it does not. PST Import Tool is designed to import .pst files that were created using Outlook 2001, the last Mac version of Outlook, into Entourage 2004. It does not import .pst files created on Windows.

11. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Yea I tried that as well. I found the pst converter on Apples site, but it didnt work. :eek:

12. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Well that just blows! Way to go MS.

13. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I'm gonna try that tomorrow, thanks for the help guys.

and thank you M$ :rolleyes:

14. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Do any of the other mail clients on Windows (like Thunderbird, for instance) import Outlook files? Because I'm pretty sure Thunderbird is capable of exporting a format that Mail would be able to open. Not sure though. It's been two and a half years since I moved all my mail from Outlook Express to Mail (and it was a bitch too, I think I used my 60-day free .mac trial IMAP account to do it).

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I used dxconv, and it was fairly simple but I lost my folders. Copy the OE files to a working folder (don't work with the woriginal files in case something goes wrong), and run the dxconv program on them (it can do them all at once). This will produce files that Mail can use. I think there are some limitations on attachments, but I didn't care.

17. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

I used Outlook2Mac. It cost $10, but it worked flawlessly and the conversion process was simple.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Outlook Express and Outlook are two different apps. Outlook Express is the free email app which ships with all copies of Windows. Microsoft had a MacOS 9 version, which was the out-of-the-box email app for that OS. Outlook is the office communications app which is bundled with Office:win. There is no MacOS X version of Outlook. As strange as it may seem, Microsoft provided Mac users with MacOS 9-compatible Outlook 2001 as a free download. However, Outlook 2001 was exclusively an Exchange client.

19. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

Well, I got fed up and just bought Outlook2Mac. 10 minutes later, DONE. :)

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Too bad it doesn't work with Outlook Express. I venture to say there are far more PC users on OE than on Outlook, since it is the free email program. I think it is a real shame that Apple doesn't have an easy migration tool available for OE.

21. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I agree

22. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What's so hard about the Outlook Express import function in Mail?

23. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I have an IMAP account at work. I am just going to create a couple of folders under that account. Backup my other account emails to those folders and download them and organize them in Mail. Seems like the easiest method. This way at least all the original details are retained (header, date/time,etc)

I wonder if there are free IMAP accounts availalbe of the web or perhaps free trial accounts.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Like .Mac...? 60 days free trial... :)

25. danny_w macrumors 601

It only is designed for the Mac version of Outlook Express, and won't work with the PC version. I thought the same thing when I first switched. Why would anybody need a converter from Mac OE to Mac Mail? Sounds like a pretty lame conversion to me.