Outlook to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nick9597, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Nick9597 macrumors member

Hello Everyone.

I am helping a friend migrate over to a new Macbook Pro from a little Sony / Windows based laptop. She has Windows outllook as her e-mail and she wants it transfered to her new Mac. It was suggested to me from a guy at the Apple store to buy "Outlook to Mac" to do this job. What do you think? Any other (good) options or is Outlook to Mac the software to use for that?

Thanks. :)

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I never heard of it, but the Mac version of Outlook is called Entourage.

3. Nick9597 thread starter macrumors member

Let me clarify......I don't need an option for what e-mail to use, I need to know a good and reliable way to tranfer her Outlook info over to the mac, wether it's to Entourage or Mac Mail or whatever.

Thanks again. :)

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I remember, years ago, I was trying to get Outlook and OE mail from an old Windows laptop to my iBook. And it was a huge pain in the rearend.

Outlook 2 Mac is only $10, so I'd go that route. It gets contacts, calendars and mail, too, which is a huge plus. Having to do them separately took me a couple days and didn't always seem worth the very painstaking trouble.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If she is connected to an Exchange Server, the best way to transfer would be to Entourage or Mail via the Exchange Server. Outlook2Mac does work, and it basically exports every Inbox subfolder that the user has into a separate file that can be imported into Mail.app or Entourage - along with calendar and contacts folders.

If, like me, you had thousands of subfolders in his personal email folders for research purposes, well that was a freakin' nightmare (and an even bigger nightware was moving back to Windows). However only real 'power users' are likely to have this problem with Outlook2Mac.

6. jlcharles macrumors 6502

That really pisses me off about Microsoft. Two equivalent programs and they provide no way to transfer your files between them. Outlook2Mac is the only way I know of doing this. Actually, you can import it to Eudora and then take about 50 more steps to do it, so I'd go the outlook2mac route.

7. Nick9597 thread starter macrumors member

8. pmn macrumors newbie

9. chadi macrumors member

I bought this program some time ago when I wanted to convert from Thunderbird --> Outlook. Mozilla makes it really easy to convert FROM Outlook to them but not easy to go the other way around.

http://www.aid4mail.com/

In your case you have a bunch of options, the program I linked there works great but I don't know if you can justify the cost.

The other option would be if she wants to run Thunderbird on her mac you could just convert to thunderbird on the pc (very easy) then copy her folder over to the Mac.

Another option, I can't confirm since I'm at a clients on a PC and my mac is at home, is to convert to Thunderbird, move that database to the mac and then import that into Mail. I believe the Mail app supports Mozilla imports and that was basically what I did with the program I linked above.

HTH,
    Chad