Outpost/Fry's Powerbook Ram...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KevRC4130, Dec 6, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Hey everyone,
    I remember there was a long thread about this ram a while ago, and I am just wondering how you guys like it now that it has been used for a while. Anyone who has any experience with Outpost/Fry's memory, please speak. I am trying to decide if this ram is as good as the memory costing more, or if I should just spend the extra money and get something more expensive and reputable.

2. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2004
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    I bought a 1-GB RAM stick over a few months ago. It works. Nothing tragic has happened. I am very pleased with it--and the price!

Have fun... Tony.
  3. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Been installed for 3 months - no kernel panics and everything is faster so no problems. Sometimes I feel that the PB might be running a little hotter but no numbers to back that up - it's not scarily hot.
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    go for it!!! frys normally has good return policies anyway
  6. Dan8302 macrumors member

Feb 28, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If you have the time

I tired ordering ram from fry's, the woman on the phone said it was back ordered but i should have it in a week or two. Well after a month and a half of waiting i just cancled it and got it from crucial. It was more expensive but it shipped same day, just got sick of waiting.
    my $.02
  7. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I ordered it too, 1 gig of ram but i installed it in my iBook instead. So far it's been working great, no problems whatsoever. I haven't notice a big improvement but then again I only do web surfing, iTunes, email and iPhoto.
  8. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Feb 9, 2003
    Backorder Bull

I ordered my memory from Fry's because of the price but it was backordered. After claiming it would be in within 1-2 weeks it never was so I ordered the RAM from elsewhere for the same price. Although I have purchased quite a number of other items from Fry's and been completely satisfied, I'd avoid the backorder items.
  9. anotherjeff macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    outpost ram-good

I've had my ram for a couple of months now, no problems whatsoever with my 12" PB rev. C superdrive.
  10. hikikomori9000 macrumors newbie

Feb 12, 2004
    Another yay...

Purchased several months ago, nary a hiccup. Go for it!
  11. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    I've been thinking about more RAM for my PB as well. Is Fry's the only option for such insanely cheap RAM?

Ideally I'd like to buy cheap RAM and purchase an extended warranty on it ... is there a good store that offers RAM for reasonably cheap with such a warranty? I know that some places, like CompUSA and Best Buy, have extended warranties you can purchase. Does anyone know if you can get warranties like this for RAM?
  12. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2003
    I ordered some ram from them for my iMac. they sent me the wrong stick. I emailed them... two weeks later I got a response and an RMA#. Then I waited. No word. Finally after three weeks and numerous unreplied emails, I got someone on te line and they informed me that they had credited my card with a refund three weeks ago.
    The upshot:
    Communication was spotty.
    Got the wrong product.
    Didn't know the issue was resolved until after the fact (my wife does the checkbook and she didn't tell me either).
    you may have to wait for your precious ram.
  13. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    Would that ram work in my moms
    g3 ibook 700mhz

If not does anybody know where I could get some cheap ram for that.
  14. kelvinz macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    Seattle, Washington
    intresting, so those of you that bought this ram have 0 problems with it then?
  15. starstreak macrumors 6502

Dec 5, 2004
    can one see a difference in 768mb vs 1gig of ram in a PB? I can't get the 1gig stick but I found a good deal on a 512.
  16. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i buy stuff from fry's all the time. i have cheap ram in my PB from some unknown location (i found it floating around the IT dept here where i work and it happened to be the exact type to fit in my PB) because we purchase a lot of products from fry's the ram is likely from frys. and it has worked very well! the only concern of frys is the stuff you buy either works, or it doesnt work. and those few times when something doesnt work, you can simply take it back and replace it until you find one that works. a few years ago i had to take stuff back all of the time, but recently (i guess their quality control has improved) i haven not had to take much back because it all works fine!
  17. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Two people I know have ordered the 1GB module in question.

My friend ordered it and had to wait over a month. He installed it in his 1GHz 12" PowerBook G4 and he's had no troubles.

My brother ordered it two Saturdays ago and received it the following Tuesday morning, which is super quick for standard / ground shipping. I installed it in his 1GHz 14" iBook G4 and he's had no troubles. I ran the Extended Hardware Test immediately after putting the RAM in and it passed.

I wish I'd have been able to save about $150 by getting this deal. Well at least the expensive 1GB stick in my 12" PowerBook looks prettier than the Fry's Outpost one.